An Unexpected Good-Bye
Guide Dog Foundation Puppy raiser are encouraged to do "Puppy Camps or Swaps" with our puppies, to get the dogs used to being in different types of environments, as well as gauging their reactions to changes of pace. And that is the jist of it. :)
This weekend, I once again headed out of time, this time dog-less and dropped Pompeii off with my Area Coordinator. The day of our drop off, she found out that our friend SAM had graduated as a VetDog in NY and she was planning to drive up there and meet his new person. Well this presented a problem of getting Pompei back too me, and not cause any conflicts with her new schedule.
Several phone calls later, she calls back and asks if Pompei had been Puppy Camped before. "No he's never been away from me, for any length of time since I've gotten him."
Cue Panic
Well here's what I want too do, we'll let him stay here until the 24th, and he can go too a family who is thinking about raising, and then i'll take him back when I get home from New York."
Cue: Hyperventilating
"Uh...sure...sounds good..."
Plans were made, and I get off the phone and am fighting tears. Two whole stinking weeks?!?!?
*sigh* I know he needs it, but I just wish I'd gotten to swap dogs with someone verses, being guide puppy less.
Not that I'll have time to think about him, with crazy Zipper coming home today...
This weekend, I once again headed out of time, this time dog-less and dropped Pompeii off with my Area Coordinator. The day of our drop off, she found out that our friend SAM had graduated as a VetDog in NY and she was planning to drive up there and meet his new person. Well this presented a problem of getting Pompei back too me, and not cause any conflicts with her new schedule.
Several phone calls later, she calls back and asks if Pompei had been Puppy Camped before. "No he's never been away from me, for any length of time since I've gotten him."
Cue Panic
Well here's what I want too do, we'll let him stay here until the 24th, and he can go too a family who is thinking about raising, and then i'll take him back when I get home from New York."
Cue: Hyperventilating
"Uh...sure...sounds good..."
Plans were made, and I get off the phone and am fighting tears. Two whole stinking weeks?!?!?
*sigh* I know he needs it, but I just wish I'd gotten to swap dogs with someone verses, being guide puppy less.
Not that I'll have time to think about him, with crazy Zipper coming home today...

Comments
Hugs and snaggle-tooth kisses,
Sierra Rose
Woofs and Licks,
Maggie Mae
Woofs and Licks,
Maggie Mae