Melancholy

The melancholy monster strikes again. With only a few months left with David, my mind keeps turning towards the inevitable turn in that we will be facing in a couple of months.

Yesterday made a year since David first arrived in my home, as a gangly, flop eared puppy, ready to take on the world armed with his little bark. If you could only know how much we've conquered, if you will, in the last year ... you would understand my .... pride? In this animal of mine.

I loves him. 

Back in the real world.

So I've had several updates on the dogs in my life.
From Oldest to Youngest.
Ahem.

Jake - Hadn't heard much about him, at seven almost eight years old, he's getting up in age!

Rei - She's the dog that's kept me on my toes in puppy-hood and on an emotional roller-coaster over the last couple of months. Over the past year Kacie has noticed that she's slowed down a lot and show distinct displeasure in working. Through many vet visits she has been diagnosed with Inflammatory Bowel Disease, which is treatable, but at this time working is causing it to become worse. As of this week she is official retired at the ripe old age of six.

Throughout this process Kacie has kept in touch with me, and allowed me to be in on the process which I greatly appreciate. Though we will always be friends a part of me is selfishly sad that I won't be "her" puppy raiser anymore. I knew it was going to happen, but not this soon!

I know the question on a lot of your minds is, where's she going to go. Well before we knew that she was slowing due to actual health problems, and not just because she was "done" I'd made the decision to add her to my family. I took a lot of time making the decision, as .... well I never make these sort of decisions lightly; but once I'd made up my mind, I was excited about adding her back into my family.
However when it became apparent that her issues were more medical related, my heart plummetted, the futher we got into the process, the more I realized that sick dogs + strained finances didn't mix.

Working at a vet clinic means I see this scenario more than I care to think about. People get dogs knowing they are sick, and then can't afford to keep it/treat it. I knew it was highly unfair for me to put Rei in a situation like that, when there was someone else who could afford to take care of her treatments down the road, and afford the high quality diet she would need.

Didn't make it easier.
A small part of me.. *squashes thought*

Midnight - Just had her third litter of babies! Four Yellow and Five Black. Don't know the male:female ratio, but they are headed out with their raisers ... or there already! NO. We are NOT getting one of this litter. Her first one wore me plumb out. :)

Pompei - I heard from "Pompsters" around Christmas time and he's doing well. 87lbs and looking good according to his vet! :)

Rob - OOOH Robby; now called Robert, or so I've heard... Rob career changed to become an Autism Service Dog through East Coast Assistance Dogs in New York. Yes it makes me smile to realize I've got yet another ASD under my built. Super proud of him. His ECAD trainers tell me, he's super serious about his job, and is no longer the silly head puppy I used to know.

Trump - No Word.

That's All Folks!


 Erin & David

Comments

Popular Posts