Midnight is Back!
Did you know ... ?
This year I've been offered, not one, not two, but three of my former puppies? Rei was first when she retired earlier this year, then David, and finally Midnight. Talk about emotional rollercoaster!
I'm so incredibly thankful that I was able to bring at least one of them home! Midnight arrived Tuesday afternoon after a short flight from New York. I'll admit I was excited, but strangly extremely nervous.
Would she be the same dog?
Would she remember me?
How would she look?
Would she have developed any bad habits/behaviors?
What if she doesn't like my dogs?
So many questions as I nervously sat in the concourse, searching for a four legs, a tail, anything to clue me in to their arrival. Since I'd only communicated with the flight attendant via email, I assumed I was looking for a male, and nearly missed the short lady being hauled along by the large black lab, until they were nearly on me.
The moment of truth had come. Did she remember me?
Midnight! I exclaim, moving towards her ...
YOU HAVE FOOD IN YOUR POCKET! Was her response.
Oh. I mean yeah, sure have a cookie.
Well... "Hi I'm Erin" .. this to the flustered flight attendant.
"She doesn't really like to fly!" was her response...
We took a few photos, and I walked Midnight back to the car; or rather, Midnight walked ME back to the car. She'd gained a few pounds since I last saw her, so hanging onto her was more of a struggle than I was used to. Apparently 57lbs as stated in request email, was stretching it .. a lot.
Once in the car we tried to figure out where she was used to riding, and got her some water. I could tell she was still pretty stressed by everything, and hated having to go straight back to work; but she seemed grateful for a space of her own for a bit.
After work, we went and visited the family, and then home to my gang.
The dachshunds had their initial reaction, bark, growl, sniff and move on.
Tally had met her at work, and was enamored. The feeling was completely mutal, but nether did she seem to dislike her. :)
Mulan, on the other hand, was a whole 'nother ball game. I knew it would be, but I don't think I was expecting it to be as intense as it was. However two days + lots of hot dogs later, there is an understanding formed between them.
Mulan has decided that 70lbs vs. 13lbs wasn't great odds, and has decided to give Midnight some space. I was extremely pleased with how Midnight handled Mulan's reaction; and if anyone needs a decoy dog for a BAT set up I've got a great one! :)
I did weigh her in the next time we were at work, and she's hitting the scale at about 68.9lbs, which for me is a huge increase than when she left, but judging from her paperwork, a huge decrease from the 80lbs she was at. That baby-weight just doesn't come off easily!
So we're going to watch her meals, and try to get her down to around 60-65lbs. Right now she's like a bull in a china shop; with the china being the littles. She just barrells on through them without a second thought, and I'm afraid we might sustain some injuries here soon. [grins]
Over the last ocuple of days, I'm starting to see some of her peresonality (aka the dog I remembered) peek back out. While her BC said they've been lax on her obedience, she seems to retained a lot of it, and still recalls as well as ever, walks nicely with remeinders, and generally responds to her commands. "Sit" is a little iffy at the moment, and she's become really mouthy, but easily iignormaed/modified.
This year I've been offered, not one, not two, but three of my former puppies? Rei was first when she retired earlier this year, then David, and finally Midnight. Talk about emotional rollercoaster!
I'm so incredibly thankful that I was able to bring at least one of them home! Midnight arrived Tuesday afternoon after a short flight from New York. I'll admit I was excited, but strangly extremely nervous.
Would she be the same dog?
Would she remember me?
How would she look?
Would she have developed any bad habits/behaviors?
What if she doesn't like my dogs?
So many questions as I nervously sat in the concourse, searching for a four legs, a tail, anything to clue me in to their arrival. Since I'd only communicated with the flight attendant via email, I assumed I was looking for a male, and nearly missed the short lady being hauled along by the large black lab, until they were nearly on me.
The moment of truth had come. Did she remember me?
Midnight! I exclaim, moving towards her ...
YOU HAVE FOOD IN YOUR POCKET! Was her response.
Oh. I mean yeah, sure have a cookie.
Well... "Hi I'm Erin" .. this to the flustered flight attendant.
"She doesn't really like to fly!" was her response...
We took a few photos, and I walked Midnight back to the car; or rather, Midnight walked ME back to the car. She'd gained a few pounds since I last saw her, so hanging onto her was more of a struggle than I was used to. Apparently 57lbs as stated in request email, was stretching it .. a lot.
Once in the car we tried to figure out where she was used to riding, and got her some water. I could tell she was still pretty stressed by everything, and hated having to go straight back to work; but she seemed grateful for a space of her own for a bit.
After work, we went and visited the family, and then home to my gang.
The dachshunds had their initial reaction, bark, growl, sniff and move on.
Tally had met her at work, and was enamored. The feeling was completely mutal, but nether did she seem to dislike her. :)
Mulan, on the other hand, was a whole 'nother ball game. I knew it would be, but I don't think I was expecting it to be as intense as it was. However two days + lots of hot dogs later, there is an understanding formed between them.
Mulan has decided that 70lbs vs. 13lbs wasn't great odds, and has decided to give Midnight some space. I was extremely pleased with how Midnight handled Mulan's reaction; and if anyone needs a decoy dog for a BAT set up I've got a great one! :)
I did weigh her in the next time we were at work, and she's hitting the scale at about 68.9lbs, which for me is a huge increase than when she left, but judging from her paperwork, a huge decrease from the 80lbs she was at. That baby-weight just doesn't come off easily!
So we're going to watch her meals, and try to get her down to around 60-65lbs. Right now she's like a bull in a china shop; with the china being the littles. She just barrells on through them without a second thought, and I'm afraid we might sustain some injuries here soon. [grins]
Over the last ocuple of days, I'm starting to see some of her peresonality (aka the dog I remembered) peek back out. While her BC said they've been lax on her obedience, she seems to retained a lot of it, and still recalls as well as ever, walks nicely with remeinders, and generally responds to her commands. "Sit" is a little iffy at the moment, and she's become really mouthy, but easily iignormaed/modified.

Comments