First Week of School

First Day Of School Scrapbook Page - two photos arranged on a red background decorated with pencils, paint brushes, stars and a plus symbols. A brief description of the schools surprise at me wanting to bring a service dog puppy, that I wasn't using. However they quote saw the light un quote quickly and gave me permission to bring him
Pompei's Scrapbook Page for last semester

Our first week of classes is OVER. *huge sigh of relief* When I created my schedule for the semester, I have to be honest when I say, I wasn't too sure how Pompei was going to handle, 5.5 hours worth of class Thursday, or 6 hours of class on Friday. Since I have the disadvantage of him not being able to come to work with me, its kind of touch and go in the "long down stay" department.

Tuesday evening was our first class, only 1.5 hours, with me getting off work in time to get him "serious" exercise in before heading to class. And as I predicted, he did fine for the hour we were there. We were let out early since we were just going over the syllabus *ugh*.

Wednesday's class don't start until November, so he hung out in his crate, with his Kong during my work day.

Thursday was the day I'd been dreading..well since I got my schedule, 7 hours of work for me, drive home, pick up Pompei and leave immediately for my 1.5 hour english class, then drive to another campus for our 3 hour photography class.  I was a little stressed, I knew I wouldn't have anytime to get him any sort of ex-cerise after being at home all day. Thankfully I have awesome siblings, who came later in the afternoon and exercised him right before I arrived home to pick him up.

Once again, he did great in the first class, which made me do great and get my essay done with 20 minutes of class time to spare, which meant we were able to leave for class number two quickly. We made it with 45 minutes of "down time" so I combined my bags, and we started "working" the campus. Pompei has recently been introduced to the "Find Commands." GDF only allows us to teach a few like : stairs up and down, doors, elevators, escalators and chairs. So we worked on Doors and Stairs Up.

Sitting at Doors.
Stopping at first step for steps.

Fun Fact: There are a gazzillion doors on campus. But he'd only fine the ones outside. Which is good since that's all we'll be working on FINDING at least.  :-) 

When his interest levels waned, I knew we could head for our class. He actually did very well, he still loves to shift positions....a lot...curl up in a ball, stretch out on his side, frog dog legs, under my legs, under the desk....he is his mothers dog...But nothing disruptive to our "neighbors". Everyone who remembered him from last semester, was dying to touch him, so I took off his jacket during the break and let him be "loved on".

After class we went through Wal-Mart before heading home.

Once there I  had to remind him, that was still "quiet time" around here, and no we really didn't want to play with him and his toy at the moment. I did take him outside and let him do his "labby scoots" around the yard a couple of times, before turning in for the night.

Today  was long, and tiring, but he did so well. I can say that I'm going to really have to crack DOWN on my classmates not petting him in coat. Seriously No ONE listened. Stupid puppy eyes. Even I have to force myself not too pet him while he's giving me those eyes. He kind of zones out during petting. NOT a good thing for a guide! Towards the end of our last class *boring.boring.boring. He did start to act up, nudging my hand for attention, attempting to investigate other peoples bags lying near him...so I knew we were done for the day.

So we streaked for the car as soon as class let out.

Then I remembered.

I had to go buy books, so we turned around and headed back towards the campus and purchased books, picked up my student ID card, and THEN headed home.

Dork boy has been bouncing around since.
Well ok not now, he's finally sacked out.
Who knew one so calm could have so much energy.

Comments

Amanda said…
I understand what you are going through with Pompei completely. Kyle has to sit under my desk and behave for eight hours a day now that school is in session. Most days he is great, but by the end of this week he was a stir crazy little ball of energy.
Beth and Alfie said…
Pompei is doing a terrific job! All Alfie has to endure is HOMESCHOOL, which is nothing compared to your grueling schedule!! -- still an adjustment for him after summer tho, the rascal...
I didn't know PWers get to teach some of the find commands, that's neat!
CD McLean said…
HRH had to go through 6 classes on Friday. She barked in two of them. Not good. but the kids were very sweet about it. She's still really young. The other four classes she just slept. Those long days are really tough.

Popular Posts