Post Heard Round The World

{Pompei during Monday Nights service, laying on his side, giving me a goofy grin}

Wow, great debate, I don't know I actually got my point across, but it defiantly sparked a big  discussion. Thanks for all the essay's you guys left! haha.  Just so we call all know for sure, my thesis is this: 


There is NO REAL way to tell weather a dog is fake or not, not behaviorally, not visually...which is all we have to rely on. 


Several have mentioned having them register, well what's the point of training your own dog? Now you owner-trains can correct me on this, but if I were to need a service dog, the whole point of me training my own, would be so I wouldn't have to go through the hassle of having someone else tell me what to do. Personally if I ever was in a position to need a dog, I would defiantly consider owner trained over schools. Why? Because I know how I want the dog trained, I don't want to have to have some one breathing down my neck, telling me what to do with my dog. (already have issuse wit dat, buttt dats not da point. especially since it ain't my dog)


I think the biggest thing we should all take away from it, is dogs will be dogs. I know we've all at one time or another, heard someone go "Must be still in training huh?" from a passerby as we are wrestling to get our pups to settled, or Fill in the blank.  And we all know how annoyed that makes us. Its not fair for us to do that too others. 


Anywho, this week, Pompei's had some new challenges, every year our church has a Tent Meeting during September, they set up a huge tent in our/the churches yard (About 5 acres worth), and for a week people from all over the country come up for the services. 
Funny story, we had some people come up early Saturday, to help out with the set up, all the kids streaked for my house, since they remembered I had dogs. I completely forgot that, walked outside with Pompei and was instantly surrounded by kids. Pompei was OVER.THE.MOON with joy, and expressed it but doing a full-tilt-labby-butt-tuck run around the yard, at least three times. He'd come back to the humans for petting and then take off again. It was hilarious, you could tell he was just so excited there were people there. 
Which presents a interesting situation for me and my dogs, as all of the sudden our exercise area shrinks to about 1/4 of the yard. Truthfully its plenty of room, but my dogs (Pompeii especially) would rather go see all the kids (who adore him) and play over there. However, when it comes times for the service is where we have our challenge. Not only does have a smaller "play" area, but all of the sudden he must be still and sleep in an area that he normally is playing in. 


This has caused some problems for my furry friend, in the fact that he doesn't really see the need to lay still. 
  1. There are a gazzillion bugs annoying him 
  2. I keep having to get up and leave him (play the piano, sing etc..) 
  3. There are people walking by
  4. The grass smells funny
  5. The grass tickles his face, and he was to snack on it a bit 
  6. He can't find a comfortable spot
  7. Its too hot. 
  8. He has an itch
You get the point. 

I've been very kind to him, in the fact that I'm not "jumping down his throat", every single time he moves out of position. However, after a while its like, ok dude, you've gotten the jitters out now. Lets relax. Yes now. NOW POMPEI.  


Last night was the best night so far, he was a lot more settled, which may be due to the fact, I got out and worked him out RIGHT before we found ourselves a seat, verses working out, then going to get dressed, eating dinner, straightening the house and then leaving. 


Its been great exposure for him, to be an extremely distracting environment such as this and as typical, he's handled it all in a stride. 

Comments

Lora said…
Hi Erin,

You are right about having an owner-trained service dog, the whole point is to not have someone telling you what to do and who else knows better what one wants than the owner?

I might add that it is a heck of a lot easier on the budget since we couldn't afford to buy Griffin a service dog. Abby was a rescue.

Lovely post! I just love the way you write as if you were an old friend.
Raiser Erin said…
Haha! I actually don't mind at all when someone says "still in trainin?" I'm glad they don't think that fully trained Guide Dogs act like the puppies. :) That would be a problem in some cases. LOL! I think if I were training my own dog I would want people to know that they were still in training and hopefully wouldn't act the same way when I was done training them. That way people wouldn't act all, "Why is your service dog acting up?" then I could say "Well, you see, still in training. just like a kid is still training how to be a proper adult. They don't always behaive but you do allow them into stores."
Unknown said…
Sometimes people forget that even when well trained, a puppy is still a puppy and a dog is still a dog. And that's just fine.

Anyway, I've awarded you and Pompei and Doggie Bloggie Award. Come see us at http://somethingwagging.wordpress.com/2010/09/29/thanks-sage-for-the-doggie-bloggie-award/ to pick it up and see the rules. And congratulations!

Popular Posts