Our Weekend

Over the last four years of working with service animals and puppies in training, I found that there are indeed times, when leaving them at home is the better option for all involved. Its not easy having a puppy out in public and when I do, I want to be able to give them my full attention. While Pompei is much older, and I don't have to worry about that quite as much, there are still occasions, when I like to do things minus the "kids".


Lately however, I've found that sometimes the best option is to have him where he can be monitored...in true teenage fashion. His energy levels have shot up in the last couple of months, so I'm finding myself taking every.single. opportunity to get him out of the house as I can. 


This weekend, was one of those times where I had to decide if I wanted to leave him or bring him. Twice a year my church hosts a camping trip in the Great Smokey Mountains, complete with rustic cabins and more. (yeah that sentence didn't work out so well) I only had time to go up there Friday evening, and debated whether or not to take Pompei. Friday was going to be a long day for me anyway and he already would have 3+ hours of school under his belt....would he really be up for  "being good" for another 5 or 6+? Was I up to "making" him be good for that long!? 


That dilemma was solved after I found out I would be making the 45 minute trip through windy roads by myself.  Yeah Pompei's coming. He actually surprised me and did really.really well. This campground had a group camp area where a bunch of little cabins surround the "great hall" area, where we spent most of our time, playing "Capture the Flag, and going on a scavenger hunt, eating dinner and just talking. 


Pompei spent most of his time hanging out with the kids, who would hide his toy and have him go find it. Mind you this is hiding it in a 4-year-olds mind, so most of time it was in plain sight! :) 


Pompei sits on 13yr Alexs lap
 Whose says lap dogs need to be small?!
4yr Fisher and Pompei pose for a shot, However Pompei is more interested in the blade of grass in front of him then posing for mom. 
 This is Fisher, Pompei's new best friend. He pretty much stayed glued to Pompei's side during the time we were there. It was really cute.
Fisher attempting to get Pompei to pay attention with little sucess

Fisher leans away from Pompei who goes for the blade of grass. 
Today Pompei reminded me to either close the front door all the way or else just move the garbage off the front porch. Truthfully the blame is on the dachshunds who can push the door open with their noses. Pompei is typically scared of trying to dash through the opening, before teh door closes so I really didn't think anything about it. 


The porch gate was closed so if they did get out it wasn't a big deal, however I though I'd placed the garbage bag high enough off the ground that it wouldn't be of interest, but as I said I really didn't think Pompei would sneak out. 


Note to self: Always doze back off with the door open. 


That's all I'm saying.


However he did great while we were out to eat this evening. I was extremely impressed with this restaurant as their floors were very clean, much to someone's dismay! 


This next weekend he'll be staying with my parents along with my dachshunds while I'm out of town. I love my family but am incredibly nervous about the two days I'll be gone. The dogs will be fine, but can my parents/family handle three dogs in the house at one time....!?! 


We shall see.


Comments

Lora said…
Great weekend so far! Hope that tomorrow is equally as good. Hugs to you and the dawggies from me and Griffin!
Unknown said…
It seemed you and Pompei had so much fun at the camp. The pictures of Pompei and his friends are precious. He's such a good boy and a good company to you too.

I'm sure he'll be fine with your parents along with your dachshunds for the weekend.
Anonymous said…
I love that second picture of Pompei and Fisher! Too cute! Looks like y'all had a great time. Good luck to the 'rents!
Erin said…
I love that second picture of Pompei and Fisher! Too cute! Looks like y'all had a great time. Good luck to the 'rents!

Popular Posts