Weekend Adventures

The Christmas Season has officially started in my city, and with it comes lots of addition outings for the Pompsters.

While I don't mean to bash any school, there is such a difference between my dogs last year and Pompei its a little unreal. I have these words to say: Quality breeding makes up a lot of the difference between a good service dog and a great one.

Last year, the dogs I was handling were barely pet quality dogs, and the various events I went too with them, were difficult to say the least. Going out in public with them was extremely stressful. I knew I would spend most of my time working with the dog to be still, to lay in small areas, and distract them when the freaked out over the slightness noise.

I was constantly reminding myself to bite the bullet and take them out anyway, since it was my job.

This year, there wasn't a question in my mind if Pompei could handle a Parade with tons of people, or a dramatic play in a huge Arena. I was right, however I faced a complete different challenge.

There were people at both events.

Lots and lots and lots and lots of people.

Those of you who have met the Pompsters in real life, know about his obsession with people. He.LOVES.PEOPLE.
And that can't help but love him back. Its like love at first sight.
Seriously.

Pompei was completely unfazed by the drums, the truck horns, sirens, cheering or clapping, mostly because he was seeing who could convince to pet him, as I was distracted by the parade sights.
Pompei laying at my feet during the first part of the parade. 
He was slyly laying between my sister and I, facing backwards so he could entice the people walking squeezing behind us with his eyes.

You would not believe the people who 1.) noticed him laying their in the dark and 2.) were so overcome by his cuteness that they HAD to touch him.  I eventually took of his coat, which worsened the situation from subtly seeking attention, to all out prancing up to willing victims, and sticking his nose under their hands.

Everyone was extremely impressed with his calmness (proud momma moment), but I was mortified by the people who just stuck their hands in his face, to pet him!! Not only adults, but children!! I can sort of understand in a store about "drive-by pettings", you can see the whole dog, and read more into his body language (not that anyone does that) but IN THE DARK? WHEN YOU CAN ONLY SEE HIS HEAD? OMG!

I will admit, Texas has me burned pretty badly. For those of you who don't know Texas ... well in a nutshell, he's extremely reactive and bending down and trying to rub his head, will.get you.bit. End of story.
So when people approach Pompei this way, I have to remind myself, he's a different dog, and takes no offense to be ing touched on the head...in fact he offers his face to be rubbed. But still, I like to remind people to ask.


One accomplishment we were able to make while downtown, was crossing those big sidewalk sized grates, that Pompei hates. With the thick crowd, he had no choice but to walk over them, albeit quickly. We DID IT!
After that we ewnt to Starbucks to warm up. Pompei however, was in rare form after the parade. And was pretty bratty in the shop. Reminding once again why I typically deny him being petted in public, though it breaks his heart. lol.

Pompei laying facing me at starbucks: "me in rare form?NEVER!" 
Today's event was the Living Christmas Tree production put on by a local church. When I say production, think 24,000+ capacity arena. Navigating those crowds, with a dog was difficult to say the least, and I could see! And keeping Pompei from getting ran over was a chore, but we plowed our way through. :)

Last year, the dog I had couldn't handle this event, and during one particularly loud part of the play (think at least a minutes worth of strobe lights, loud thunder/earth quake like sounds, enough that you can feel it in your body) she completely freaked out and I wound up holding  her in my lap fro the remainder of the play.

Pompei, however was an angel, I've never been so proud of my dog, as I was today. While I didn't expect him to have any reaction, it was so nice to one, forget he was there, and two just to see him look up to see where the light came from before laying back down.
Scene from the Living Christmas Tree 

Granted being in my studio class has fully prepared him for sudden bursts of lighting. I forgot about that.

He managed to charm all who were around us, by laying his head in the childs' lap next too us, every so often. sigh.

"I think he likes me" was the phrase I heard at least 5 times, through the hour+ production.

Yes Kid...he loves everyone.

He went home and rested up after that event, while I tackled the chore of grocery shopping.

One outing for today was plenty.
:)

Comments

Erin said…
I like you 'How not to greet a dog'. They are the great tips for everyone who tries to approach other dogs!
Erin said…
That was a great poster! I'm always thrilled when people ask me before coming up to pet Honey and I really make a big fuss over kids who do it. Someone taught them well.

And I'm not only amazed at people who put their hands out to touch a strange dog but that more people don't know they shouldn't pet service animals (even when they're just in training).
Erin said…
Thanks for stopping by my blog. Pompei is such a handsome boy. You must be happy that he won't go in for formal training for a couple of months still :)

Popular Posts