Five Days
We're in the home stretch. I'm still having a hard time wrapping my mind around the idea that next Sunday I'll only have two dogs to care for. In one since my heart hurts everytime I think of it, and though I really.really.really hate to admit this...in another way I'm slightly relieved to have just a teeny tiny bit of a break.
I can't believe there are only five days left.
And then I start feeling guilty to even think about that, knowing how much I'll miss my buddy....despite how annoying he's become during hiseternally long teenage stage.
I think the hardest part of this journey is not just giving them up, but more so knowing that he's now just a dog. If you'll allow me a few minutes of irrational-puppy-raiser-letting-go-of-her-dog-thinking, I'll elaborate.
I'm the only one, who knows the ins and outs of Pompster, I know he loves, loves, loves sleeping on soft DOG beds, (and human if he can) I know he hates laying on concrete and will be very antsy when forced too, I know how to settle him down, I know verbal corrections are what he needs to listen, I know when he's excited he has to have SOMETHING in his mouth, he won't chew it but he's got to have something.
With every puppy I go through this, I know the Foundation and his future partner will love him as much as I do, but at the moment I can't convince myself of that. They have hundreds of dogs go through there, there is no reason for them to treat Pompei better than all of them, but my puppy-raisers heart, wants them to see him as I do. I know that's a ridiculous request to make, especially having worked in kennels for most of my working life. I did my best, but I knew I couldn't live up to the dogs owners standards.
But that doesn't stop the feelings from being there.
Luckily I've learned how to "curb" those emotions, and think logically.....when it matters.
So. Five Days.
Five Extremely busy days.
And then the end of the beginning.
It will be strange coming back without a puppy.
However I'm positive I'll need these four weeks to catch up on my sleep and plot out a game plan to adding an 8-week-old puppy to my life, in the middle of a school year.
I.must.be.crazy.
Alright now that I've got that out of my system.
I must go to bed.
Thanks for "listening!"
Erin & Pompei
I can't believe there are only five days left.
And then I start feeling guilty to even think about that, knowing how much I'll miss my buddy....despite how annoying he's become during his
I think the hardest part of this journey is not just giving them up, but more so knowing that he's now just a dog. If you'll allow me a few minutes of irrational-puppy-raiser-letting-go-of-her-dog-thinking, I'll elaborate.
I'm the only one, who knows the ins and outs of Pompster, I know he loves, loves, loves sleeping on soft DOG beds, (and human if he can) I know he hates laying on concrete and will be very antsy when forced too, I know how to settle him down, I know verbal corrections are what he needs to listen, I know when he's excited he has to have SOMETHING in his mouth, he won't chew it but he's got to have something.
With every puppy I go through this, I know the Foundation and his future partner will love him as much as I do, but at the moment I can't convince myself of that. They have hundreds of dogs go through there, there is no reason for them to treat Pompei better than all of them, but my puppy-raisers heart, wants them to see him as I do. I know that's a ridiculous request to make, especially having worked in kennels for most of my working life. I did my best, but I knew I couldn't live up to the dogs owners standards.
But that doesn't stop the feelings from being there.
Luckily I've learned how to "curb" those emotions, and think logically.....when it matters.
So. Five Days.
Five Extremely busy days.
And then the end of the beginning.
It will be strange coming back without a puppy.
However I'm positive I'll need these four weeks to catch up on my sleep and plot out a game plan to adding an 8-week-old puppy to my life, in the middle of a school year.
I.must.be.crazy.
Alright now that I've got that out of my system.
I must go to bed.
Thanks for "listening!"
Erin & Pompei


Comments