Puppy Diaries: Two Months Photo Shoot
All dogs are not created equal. Sometimes I have to remind myself of that.
Oh wait, I think I already posted that. See I told you I have to remind myself of these things frequently?
We've all heard that Labs come in two kinds, Energetic and Lazy.
Y'all know how kind I'm being with those words right?
Rei was Energetic. (aka very.very.busy)
Midnight was Lazy. (aka fantastic)
(Enter: Goldens more Goldens and a Over abundance of Goldens that sent me screaming back to labs. No offense to our Golden pals.)
Pompei was a Mix of breeds (aka Perfect ...but immature)
Then comes Rob: At the moment he's not a high energy dog, which will change as he gets older...but one thing I didn't count on, was how smart he was going to be. Which is good and challenging.
The good is this, we're able to train the "un.desirable" behaviors (in our minds as humans of course)into more polite behaviors with relative ease. The "difficulty" is that he's constantly finding out new ways to use..or not use his brain.
This of course, will mean someone will have a stellar guide dog in the future, but until that time, my brain might just go into overload trying to stay a step ahead of him.
Since we last posted...he's added "down" and is officially sitting and waiting until I tell him "ok" for his food.
Since our last post, he's continued to learn how to explore his new world......on two legs. I take the blame. I knew carrying him around was a bad idea..giving him a birds eye view/smell of things stored above his head. (But he was soo vewy cute an cuddly an the fastest way to get outside!) I will suffer my punishment with all the grace I can muster, and will not blame the dog.
Since my last post, we've also discovered that Rob will be the first puppy, to have to have toys brought OUTSIDE with him, to play with. He's really got 0 interest in playing outside. Could careless about the grass, the fun things to smell, or the exploring. Just wants to sit on or next to me, and chew on his toy. Or me. Which ever is handier. Usually me. How can this be a "child" of mine? So he spends sometime out doors, than we put him inside and finish playing in the sunshine.
I've also decided not to let Rob be petted in public. At least not until he has the rules down pat, Much to my classmates dismay. I finally told one of them, he could get his own puppy if it was that big of a deal. For some reason he didn't like that idea.
*shrugs*
I try.
Oh wait, I think I already posted that. See I told you I have to remind myself of these things frequently?
We've all heard that Labs come in two kinds, Energetic and Lazy.
Y'all know how kind I'm being with those words right?
Rei was Energetic. (aka very.very.busy)
Midnight was Lazy. (aka fantastic)
(Enter: Goldens more Goldens and a Over abundance of Goldens that sent me screaming back to labs. No offense to our Golden pals.)
Pompei was a Mix of breeds (aka Perfect ...but immature)
Then comes Rob: At the moment he's not a high energy dog, which will change as he gets older...but one thing I didn't count on, was how smart he was going to be. Which is good and challenging.
The good is this, we're able to train the "un.desirable" behaviors (in our minds as humans of course)into more polite behaviors with relative ease. The "difficulty" is that he's constantly finding out new ways to use..or not use his brain.
This of course, will mean someone will have a stellar guide dog in the future, but until that time, my brain might just go into overload trying to stay a step ahead of him.
Since we last posted...he's added "down" and is officially sitting and waiting until I tell him "ok" for his food.
Since our last post, he's continued to learn how to explore his new world......on two legs. I take the blame. I knew carrying him around was a bad idea..giving him a birds eye view/smell of things stored above his head. (But he was soo vewy cute an cuddly an the fastest way to get outside!) I will suffer my punishment with all the grace I can muster, and will not blame the dog.
Since my last post, we've also discovered that Rob will be the first puppy, to have to have toys brought OUTSIDE with him, to play with. He's really got 0 interest in playing outside. Could careless about the grass, the fun things to smell, or the exploring. Just wants to sit on or next to me, and chew on his toy. Or me. Which ever is handier. Usually me. How can this be a "child" of mine? So he spends sometime out doors, than we put him inside and finish playing in the sunshine.
I've also decided not to let Rob be petted in public. At least not until he has the rules down pat, Much to my classmates dismay. I finally told one of them, he could get his own puppy if it was that big of a deal. For some reason he didn't like that idea.
*shrugs*
I try.




Comments
I hope you don't mind, but I thing I'm going to borrow your response to petting guide puppies. It's perfect! There's always a need for more puppy raisers, right?
And, I'm with Amanda--I'd like to steal your line about getting your own puppy to pet! Great post, Erin!