Week 20
And He's Back!!
All in all he got a good report from his puppy camp experience! His sitters were sad to see him go if that says in anything! :)) I sorely missed having a PIT at my side, but considering my schedule during the two weeks he was gone, it was a good thing I didn't. As much as I love puppy raising, they do slow ya down a bit.
This puppy camp gave me some time to re-evaluate how Rob and worked as a team, (because oh yes we're a team) and how we could improve in the area's that we are struggling in. We've got our game face on, and are ready to get back out on the field. :)
I think he missed us, as he's been really clingy (for Rob at any rate) since he's been back. Once he was in my car, we hit the ground running.
One thing I've realized, since Rob has been gone, is all work and no play makes Rob a DULL boy. And dull Rob-Dogs are not really ...shall we say.. "good" Rob-Dogs.
One thing I've had to correct over the last two weeks, is my use of outings.
Sure outings were great for socialization, but with dogs 3 + 4 they were also great physical and mental work outs. #3, and #4 could go shopping all day, and come home and be knocked out.
However this is not the case with puppy #5.
Nope.
Rob likes to separate work from pleasure. Which is fine, but it took me a little bit longer to realize this. Now that he's back we've hit up parks/friends with other dogs houses BEFORE we embarking on working trips and things have improved greatly.
I just wish I'd listened to this a wittle bit sooner, as combining the two just = a hyper pup.
Juneau could stand up for himself a little bit more, and not relinquish the toy whenever Rob rushes him, but that's what I'm there for. Walking them together might be more of a challenge I thought, but it really wasn't. I kept them on either side of me, and though Rob attempt to side step me a couple of times, he mostly stayed on his side.
Unfortunately I'm only Juneau's alternate walker, so we'll only see him a couple of times..however the new GDF puppy coming to our area should help make up for that. :)
Our next challenge was a trip to the Library.
It didn't start out as a challenge, but quickly became apparent that it would be one, as more and more children, ranging from babies on up, descended on the library. Apparently there is some sort of story time on Wednesday mornings and we landed smack dab in the middle of it.
However, Rob was a PRO! A crawling baby held his attention for a while, but when the Mom brought him/her (how embarrassing I don't even know!) over to say high, Rob was Oh-So-Gentle as he sat and sniffed her face and hands.
< insert proud mom face>
Other children were equally interested in Rob, but he laid by my feet quietly and watched them run around him. We met one lady who just put her dog down, and Rob rolled over to let her rub his belly.
< insert shocked my-dog-never-rolls-for-a-belly-rub face >
The librarians were quiet impressed with him, as was I.
*Snifffs*
My baby is growing up!
All in all he got a good report from his puppy camp experience! His sitters were sad to see him go if that says in anything! :)) I sorely missed having a PIT at my side, but considering my schedule during the two weeks he was gone, it was a good thing I didn't. As much as I love puppy raising, they do slow ya down a bit.
This puppy camp gave me some time to re-evaluate how Rob and worked as a team, (because oh yes we're a team) and how we could improve in the area's that we are struggling in. We've got our game face on, and are ready to get back out on the field. :)
I think he missed us, as he's been really clingy (for Rob at any rate) since he's been back. Once he was in my car, we hit the ground running.
One thing I've realized, since Rob has been gone, is all work and no play makes Rob a DULL boy. And dull Rob-Dogs are not really ...shall we say.. "good" Rob-Dogs.
One thing I've had to correct over the last two weeks, is my use of outings.
Sure outings were great for socialization, but with dogs 3 + 4 they were also great physical and mental work outs. #3, and #4 could go shopping all day, and come home and be knocked out.
However this is not the case with puppy #5.
Nope.
Rob likes to separate work from pleasure. Which is fine, but it took me a little bit longer to realize this. Now that he's back we've hit up parks/friends with other dogs houses BEFORE we embarking on working trips and things have improved greatly.
![]() |
| Rob and his friend Fisher |
Note to self: "When your dog is trying to tell you something...Listen to him."Today we stopped by our friend the house of our new friend "Juneau" for a work/play date. Work for me. Play for Rob. I don't normally take Rob on "jobs" with me, but Juneau's mom was the one that suggested it, so on we came! Juneau is four years old Golden Retriever who puts up with puppy Rob quite well, a little too well IMO.
Juneau could stand up for himself a little bit more, and not relinquish the toy whenever Rob rushes him, but that's what I'm there for. Walking them together might be more of a challenge I thought, but it really wasn't. I kept them on either side of me, and though Rob attempt to side step me a couple of times, he mostly stayed on his side.
Unfortunately I'm only Juneau's alternate walker, so we'll only see him a couple of times..however the new GDF puppy coming to our area should help make up for that. :)
Our next challenge was a trip to the Library.
It didn't start out as a challenge, but quickly became apparent that it would be one, as more and more children, ranging from babies on up, descended on the library. Apparently there is some sort of story time on Wednesday mornings and we landed smack dab in the middle of it.
However, Rob was a PRO! A crawling baby held his attention for a while, but when the Mom brought him/her (how embarrassing I don't even know!) over to say high, Rob was Oh-So-Gentle as he sat and sniffed her face and hands.
< insert proud mom face>
Other children were equally interested in Rob, but he laid by my feet quietly and watched them run around him. We met one lady who just put her dog down, and Rob rolled over to let her rub his belly.
< insert shocked my-dog-never-rolls-for-a-belly-rub face >
The librarians were quiet impressed with him, as was I.
*Snifffs*
My baby is growing up!



Comments