Lessons from Rob
None of these things is quite like the other...
One of the topics on GDF's email list, was the pain associated with retiring/saying good by to a previous guide, and opening your heart to a new pup. As one person commented, "We get these imperfect unruly dogs who somehow become perfect right when it is time to retire them."
The same can be said about these puppies that we have and hold for a year. They start out imperfect and unruly, yet for some reason, by the time its time for formal training, they are right where we need them to be.
Getting them past the imperfect, unruly stage is the hard part.
This week, I have learned that patience is an art form.
I've also learned its OK to be frustrated.
Lastly..summer ain't all its cracked up to be...
Especially when dealing with a male, six-month-old, recently neutered puppy.
The current heat wave, has presented quite an obstacle when it comes to exercise. And the less exercise the Robster's gets, the more un-desirable behaviors we see, the less patience I become and the more frustrated we both get.
Not really a great combination.
This past week, was one of those weeks. With my roommate getting married, in two days, and expecting moi to entertain guests.. there has been a lot of things going on, leaving the dogs with the short end of the stick.
I'm pretty my PR friends can imagine what that created.
There have been many moments of frustration, while I tried to do something around, the bored lab wandering through my house. There was even a moment where I just looked at Rob, and really wanted him to read my mind.
Can't you see I have all this stuff to do? Why are you acting like this?
I think it was at that point, standing at the door, looking down at the head wedged between myself and door, in a desire to go outside.. I realized a couple of things.
What can we do at this point?
He CAN down/stay in the living room while I sweep the floor.
He CAN "Leave it" and "Sit" or "get his toy" while I'm attempting to do my hair
(and he's getting in and out of the bathtub with things)
He can sit/stay BEFORE we get to the doorway
I CAN make sure he gets enough exercise..(even though current temperatures are making that exceedingly difficult)
I CAN make sure he has enough toys (that he likes) to play with...
Etc...etc...
A simple change in mind set.
He's not doing this to annoy me, or to try to "rule my life" he's just being a puppy. One that is a little too like his hu-mom and wandering from thing to thing, as it strikes his nose.. If anything, its a cry for attention..not in the demanding way, but in the "I need more information/communication from you, than "no's and "at-at's".
One of the topics on GDF's email list, was the pain associated with retiring/saying good by to a previous guide, and opening your heart to a new pup. As one person commented, "We get these imperfect unruly dogs who somehow become perfect right when it is time to retire them."
The same can be said about these puppies that we have and hold for a year. They start out imperfect and unruly, yet for some reason, by the time its time for formal training, they are right where we need them to be.
Getting them past the imperfect, unruly stage is the hard part.
This week, I have learned that patience is an art form.
I've also learned its OK to be frustrated.
Lastly..summer ain't all its cracked up to be...
Especially when dealing with a male, six-month-old, recently neutered puppy.
![]() |
| Cone-Head Rob |
Not really a great combination.
This past week, was one of those weeks. With my roommate getting married, in two days, and expecting moi to entertain guests.. there has been a lot of things going on, leaving the dogs with the short end of the stick.
I'm pretty my PR friends can imagine what that created.
| Rob laying the grass after I've extracted a red, decorative ball from his mouth, that dyed his tongue. Needless to say those are now out of reach. |
Can't you see I have all this stuff to do? Why are you acting like this?
I think it was at that point, standing at the door, looking down at the head wedged between myself and door, in a desire to go outside.. I realized a couple of things.
- Being frustrated was getting me no where.
- He could probably feel my frustration and was acting accordingly.
- We needed more structured exercise...
And most importantly, I realized that Rob is a dog that needs intense directions, and when he doesn't get it...he does his own thing.
He can't read my mind, so what exactly did I want him to do in xyz situation.
What can we do at this point?
He CAN down/stay in the living room while I sweep the floor.
He CAN "Leave it" and "Sit" or "get his toy" while I'm attempting to do my hair
(and he's getting in and out of the bathtub with things)
He can sit/stay BEFORE we get to the doorway
I CAN make sure he gets enough exercise..(even though current temperatures are making that exceedingly difficult)
I CAN make sure he has enough toys (that he likes) to play with...
Etc...etc...
A simple change in mind set.
He's not doing this to annoy me, or to try to "rule my life" he's just being a puppy. One that is a little too like his hu-mom and wandering from thing to thing, as it strikes his nose.. If anything, its a cry for attention..not in the demanding way, but in the "I need more information/communication from you, than "no's and "at-at's".
"Look for the good and reward it."



Comments
I totally empathize with you. Glad you got past your frustration and found things he CAN do!!