Week 2
9.29.13
PuppyRaiserFail 1Due to some health issues Tally has been having, I've been leaving her home and checking on her during my lunch breaks. Its not the best solution, but I didn't really have a choice. Anyway, I crated everyone and took off for work. Gearing up for a crazy day. When I arrived back home several hours later, I was shocked to see Tally chilling in the living room with my dachshunds.
Instantly my mind is on fire ... what did I leave out, thinking she was safely ensconced in her crate, and what do I smell? Luckily she's not been very destructive thus far, and only severed my iphone charge cord. No biggie as I have two more. I'm just extremely thankful she missed my MacBook charger which was INCHES away from my iphone cord.
I quickly discovered that I'd forgot to secure both doors on her crate, so she'd probably been 'on the lamb' for sometime. I'd gotten one door, but mistakenly thought, because it was closed, the side door was locked.
Lessoned Learned
PuppyRaiserFail #2
Happened this afternoon. Let me tell you something about labrador retrievers. They are mess creatures; and I'll admit the last three puppies I've had (David, Mulan & Jack-Jack all non labs) have spoiled me. None were over eager to soil their areas unless there was absolutely no other choice. No so with labs 1,2 3 and 4.5 (Pompei).
As with anyone raising an indoor dog, potty training is a our number one priority. And Tally having lived indoor all over time until this point, wasn't overly fond of 1) having use the bathroom outside 2) having to be leashed while attempting to do her business and 3) having to go on hard concrete.
Not that I blame her, climate controlled bathroom vs. portapotty? Yeah i'd choose the inside one as well.
Today as I stood outside while she pranced, and whined and chewed rocks, I was thinking of different ways to speed up this process. Right now I haven't enacted any consequences to going inside. Its week one, this is a completely new concept I don't feel the need to "beat her over the head" because she pottied inside. Just upped my a game. However, I knew it wouldn't hurt to with hold our freedom until we "busied" when the opportunity was given. So after a while we quickly traversed the grassy plains back to the house, and leaving her leash on, I gave her the cue to kennel, helped her in and set the timer.
5 minutes later, the smell hits me. argh.
One body wipe down later ... we're back to doing what we've been doing. It was working better anywho.
Lesson Learned.
Can I also so how completely amazing is to have a puppy that can just 'chill' without coersion? Seriously? Who knew such a thing was possible! *coughnamingnonamescough*
10.2.13
Dear Tally,That bowl of water sitting in the floor? Is for you and EVERYONE ELSE to DRINK. Putting your nasty little feet in and and subsequently splashing all the water on the floor isn't acceptable. I know its fun, and I understand your little life is about having as much fun as possible and sleeping, but.
10.3.13
Tally Diaries:
EVERYBODY LOVES ME. I LOVE EVERYBODIES. COOKIES ARE GOOD. I AM THE PRINCESS! I AM AWESOME. I AM CUTE! I AM AMAZING!
(I will also have a big head and serious complex in the coming months - Erin)


Comments