Week 6: You Gain some You Lose Some
After eight puppies, it doesn't get eaiser.
Potty training, I mean.
Its the one thing I could do without, the one thing that will get me flustered, and having me pulling my hair out. Cause lets be honest. When its 45 degrees outside, there is very little motivation to go trooping outside ever 30-60 minutes. But ya do what ya gotta.
Week six (no, actually this whole month) has been hectic. Adding Tally at the beginning, then Midnight, then working 50+ hour weeks, and this week, adding two kittens to the mix has been crazy.
Looking back, the fact that Tally knows: Sit, Down, Leave it, Wait, Car, Kennel, Go busy, and can walk on a leash ...just shows how great of a puppy walker I am... is nothing short of a miracle.
And then there was four ..
Tally and I started off this week, with another concert at the University of Tennessee. We'd had to run straight from church to the concert, so I knew could be a harder outing for us, and she didn't prove me wrong. However, I will take a wiggly, antsy puppy over a barky one any day. So we just ignored her, and by the time the concert was over she was tired enough to sleep. Afterwards, my loving mother got the idea to "celebrate" by going to iHop for dinner.
In an effort to spend more time with my family, I agreed, though all I really wanted to do was go home and sleep. [I was tired! SUE ME] Tally's cat nap had rejuvenated her by the time we reached the restaurant and was raring to go.
In the five years I've worked with SD's in KNoxville, I've had a total of three people tell me I couldn't bring a dog in. All are adamant, but nervous. I like to play on that nervousness. I don't back down, but smile and thank them for doing their job, let them know what she's doing, what the law is, and that she's not a pet I'm trying to sneak in.
They generally back down, and this lady did as well.
We got our seat, and began the process of settling Tally ... 15 minutes later, she gave up; and slept the rest of the trip.
First restaurant trip on the books!
Tuesday, we added ANOTHER furry member to our family, and introduced Tally to her first cat. It was love at first sight for her, and she had (and has had) a really hard time not pouncing on him. Ichabod, while not pleased with being nearly smashed, didn't really care about the dogs, and is proving to be a great addition. Once we can convince the eldest dog that he isn't a rodent, we'll be good to go.
Tally has gotten lots of practice "leaving it" and is becoming quite good at it.
And then there was five..
Friday saw yet another cat added to the mix. One that I'm JUST BABYsitting. *My* second kitten arrives Monday.
And then there was six ...
Saturday found us, finishing up our last shots and getting our official 16-week weight at 26.8lbs. The vet was very complimentary on her weight, and Tally was great for all over vaccines. We made our first trip as a legal dog to the pet store to get more cat supplies, and got stuck in a long conversation about cats, and dogs, and dachshunds, and guide dog puppies, and Smithtown NY, and walnut litter .. until I didn't know if I could take it any more. Seriously. I will NEVER get that 20 minutes back.
Tally on the other hand really impressed me, one of the ladies who'd cornered me had a little dachshund with her. Tally tried to play a couple of times, but responded well to my verbal cues, and finally just laid down and watched it while I talked.
We got several compliments on how well behaved she was for a 16 week old puppy, and I had to agree.
Saturday also came with some sadness, as we sent Mulan to live her new family. While I'd waffled back and forth as to if Mulan was going to be a permanent member of my family, but with her need to run, and run far .. and my lack of fencing I knew she was either going to end up shot, or mauled by another dog.
And then there was five ... again..
For now.

Potty training, I mean.
Its the one thing I could do without, the one thing that will get me flustered, and having me pulling my hair out. Cause lets be honest. When its 45 degrees outside, there is very little motivation to go trooping outside ever 30-60 minutes. But ya do what ya gotta.
Week six (no, actually this whole month) has been hectic. Adding Tally at the beginning, then Midnight, then working 50+ hour weeks, and this week, adding two kittens to the mix has been crazy.
Looking back, the fact that Tally knows: Sit, Down, Leave it, Wait, Car, Kennel, Go busy, and can walk on a leash ...
Sunday
When Midnight arrived, I took her for a couple of weeks to help my family prepare.. two weeks later, I knew if she didn't just arrive, they'd never be ready, so I loaded them up with food, beds, toys, leases... aka everything but the kitchen sink, and sent them on their way. ;-)And then there was four ..
Tally and I started off this week, with another concert at the University of Tennessee. We'd had to run straight from church to the concert, so I knew could be a harder outing for us, and she didn't prove me wrong. However, I will take a wiggly, antsy puppy over a barky one any day. So we just ignored her, and by the time the concert was over she was tired enough to sleep. Afterwards, my loving mother got the idea to "celebrate" by going to iHop for dinner.
In an effort to spend more time with my family, I agreed, though all I really wanted to do was go home and sleep. [I was tired! SUE ME] Tally's cat nap had rejuvenated her by the time we reached the restaurant and was raring to go.
In the five years I've worked with SD's in KNoxville, I've had a total of three people tell me I couldn't bring a dog in. All are adamant, but nervous. I like to play on that nervousness. I don't back down, but smile and thank them for doing their job, let them know what she's doing, what the law is, and that she's not a pet I'm trying to sneak in.
They generally back down, and this lady did as well.
We got our seat, and began the process of settling Tally ... 15 minutes later, she gave up; and slept the rest of the trip.
First restaurant trip on the books!
Tuesday, we added ANOTHER furry member to our family, and introduced Tally to her first cat. It was love at first sight for her, and she had (and has had) a really hard time not pouncing on him. Ichabod, while not pleased with being nearly smashed, didn't really care about the dogs, and is proving to be a great addition. Once we can convince the eldest dog that he isn't a rodent, we'll be good to go.
Tally has gotten lots of practice "leaving it" and is becoming quite good at it.
And then there was five..
Friday saw yet another cat added to the mix. One that I'm JUST BABYsitting. *My* second kitten arrives Monday.
And then there was six ...
Saturday found us, finishing up our last shots and getting our official 16-week weight at 26.8lbs. The vet was very complimentary on her weight, and Tally was great for all over vaccines. We made our first trip as a legal dog to the pet store to get more cat supplies, and got stuck in a long conversation about cats, and dogs, and dachshunds, and guide dog puppies, and Smithtown NY, and walnut litter .. until I didn't know if I could take it any more. Seriously. I will NEVER get that 20 minutes back.
Tally on the other hand really impressed me, one of the ladies who'd cornered me had a little dachshund with her. Tally tried to play a couple of times, but responded well to my verbal cues, and finally just laid down and watched it while I talked.
We got several compliments on how well behaved she was for a 16 week old puppy, and I had to agree.
Saturday also came with some sadness, as we sent Mulan to live her new family. While I'd waffled back and forth as to if Mulan was going to be a permanent member of my family, but with her need to run, and run far .. and my lack of fencing I knew she was either going to end up shot, or mauled by another dog.
And then there was five ... again..
For now.






Comments