Socialization

Lately I have been thinking and listening, and reading many many episodes of Guide Dogs that are highly dog distracted.

How could that be if we don't let them interact with other dogs much?

It is because they don't interact with other dogs on a regular basis, because we as raisers are told to keep them away from that?

Yet Midnight has been in doggie daycare her whole life, and is the least dog distracted dog in our group.

IMO Socialization with other dogs is just as important, as it helps the dog not to be fearful, aggressive or distracted by other dogs.

Sue's dog distraction is a big thing right now, as she thinks its great to jump on a random dog in play..or else she's cowering in fear of them.

So Today...Sue got to play with a group of dogs for the first time. I'll admit to forgetting she wasn't Midnight and used to this, and she was a little fearful and submissive. Which is what we normally see with a dog who has not been socialized with the group.

But by the end of the day, she was quite over all that, and play very very very hard. We've been home for about two hours, and she has not moved.

I do hope that I am able to keep her, so she can get used to being around dogs, and hopefully become blase' about other dogs on the street.

We'll see.

Comments

Brittany said…
I totally agree that dogs who get to play with other dogs are less distracted! My only dog that was super distracted was my first and I hardly ever let him even sniff another dog let alone play with one.
Interesting thoughts... My first puppy was the most dog distracted too, and I got her as a transfer at 11 months from a home with no other dogs. My last pet basically ignored the puppies and they basically ignored her, but I worry now with my new pets because they will definitely play with the puppy! He seems to be doing just fine seeing other dogs, but I still worry!
Lisa, Ellie and Hosta said…
Interesting... Ellie doesn't have any other dogs at home and is VERY highly dog distracted. We'll have to see how this progresses.
Erin and Co. said…
Emily- yes with doug, since he's used to being around other dogs all the time,seeing a dog on the street is not quite so interesting, as something he hasn't seen. kwim??
Which is why Midnight wasn't distracted by other dogs. She was around the ALL the time, and so she really didn't have much of a desire to go play with them, because that was a normal occurrence for. Say you had pizza every night, you would be excited for the chance for something difference, and this is how I think our dogs "think" as well.

Just my thoughts.
Kelli said…
The Owners say we need to work on my social skills because I get very excited around other dogs! They might even take me to doggy daycare! It sounds like so much fun!
-Tibby

Popular Posts