So the train fell off the tracks for a few weeks…well, I can’t say we fell off, but we definitely have slowed way, way down. Between all of the little situations going on in my job, school, and home life etc.. priorities have change for a little while. We’re not completely back to square one, I can see things like his name recognition, and recall have regressed while other things are surfacing such as the “stop and flop” when he doesn’t want to walk anymore. I feel horrible getting frustrated about little things, because I know the blame lies on me, for not be consistent in some areas. Thankfully I have finished moving into my new place, and am getting settled as quickly as possible, so we can hop back on the band wagon ASAP. I was out in the yard with the dogs, and realized just how long it has been since we’ve actually went out and JUST played. Lately it’s just been them in the yard, while I loaded up the car with stuff; I think I enjoyed being out without working as much as they did!
That sort of brought home to me just how busy I have been, and I'm so glad we can start working on a new sense of normal now.
Pompei has upgraded to his big dog crate, and is no longer sleeping in my bedroom. GDF has their raisers move the pups out of the bedroom after the first couple of weeks, to “decrease” bonding. Or something like that…since my room is full of dogs anyway neither he nor I cares much. He’s walking really well on a leash, and has not offered any pulling behaviors yet, we’ll see how he does when we get around other dogs, but for now success! We’ve done at least a half a flight of stairs at school, and he’ll go up and down them all day off leash... (Another thing we need to work on)
I cannot wait until he is met all of his shot requirements so we can get into parks and around other dogs more often, as I feel this is vital to their socialization as well. I miss working at doggie daycares. slightly.
One thing I do miss about training for Wilderwood is being able to train however I saw fit. I’m still having issues switching from WSD commands to GDF,it’s a wonder Pompei knows what to do at all with his mom constantly going..”Pompei Lets Go...uh Forward!” “Pompei Wait...no I mean STAY”
He thankfully takes it all in stride. Especially if there happens to be kibble involved!
Speaking of WSD, they were asked by Extreme Home Makeover to provide one of the families, receiving a house, with a service dog. A Yellow Lab named Cotton was the dog of choice, and a good at that I believe. Cotton was owner surrender, due to financial reasons, and has been strong from the get go. I know he’ll be a great WSD ambassador. Random Photos from this Weekend:
I purchased a new camera about two weeks ago off of Craigslist, and am looovving my 50mm 1.8 lens. Great for low light situations.
 |
| Bubbles (dachshund) and Pompei lay on the floor beside my bed, Pompei laying against bubbles |
 |
| Pompei looks at the camera from his position on the floor |
 |
| Pompei curled into a ball on his dog bed |
 |
| Pompei in the kitchen playing with a bottle cap |
 |
| Pompei laying on the floor in Bed Bath and Beyond looking at the camera |
UpComing Events: January 27th - Puppy Meeting
![]()
Comments
I didn't know GDF has the PWers move the crate out of the bedroom, that explains why Jack didn't bat an eyelash when I moved him from my room to the living room due to his horrendous snoring.