Puppy Meeting: Fun Depot
I don't know about you all, but I always go into puppy meetings (aka one of the most distracting events we will attend) with a game plan. This month our plan was too:
- Get there early enough to get Rob situated to so I could visit with the other raisers a bit.
- Keep Rob's leash loose.
- Focus on the good behavior I see out of Rob.
This month we went to Asheville's Fun Depot, a big arcade center with Laser Tag, Batting Cages, Mini Golf, Climbing Walls, Golf carts and lots, and lots of kids. Lots. Looooots. Did I mention lots of kids? I knew Rob wouldn't have a problem with any of that, so my focus was mostly on just getting him in the environment.
We crossed number 1 of our list quickly arriving nearly 20 minutes early, and a good thing too as Rob decided he didn't "need to pee" at the moment and took his time checking out his new surroundings. Um...dude. really. We saw another raiser arrive so we (my sister Autumn and I) walked on inside. After greeting the dogs, I knew Rob would probably feeling more inclined to "go" and sure enough he did. Outside. I mean.
(Yay Me!)
After the rest of the group arrived and we sat in the entry way, chatting and trying to keep the puppies under control. Rob's brother Trump reunited and they both dived at each other like long lost...um..brothers? :) Yeah. Perhaps they recognized each other, I don't know, in any case they were happy to see each other.
![]() |
| Raisers walk through the parking lot with their yellow coated labradors. |
![]() |
| Trump and his raisers stand to the far left, beside them is Elvis and his raisers, and Piper (shelter dog) and her raiser |
![]() |
| THen we have Mickey and his raiser, Rob sits nicely beside me, Trump again and Elvis again :) |
Our Area Coordinator actually wanted us to meet outside, so once we got that information we all trooped back out into the chilly weather for some obedience practice. Here comes the loose leash challenge! For the most part Rob did well, while he did pull he re-focused easily we made me happy : )
![]() |
| Rob sits and gazes at me as I tell him what a good boy he was being! |
![]() |
| Mickey and his raiser pass by us, as I encourage Rob to stay focused on me, which he does nicely. |
I love it when hard work pays off!!
Since I knew the noise and people wouldn't faze Mr.Rob we did some more relaxation exercises, while inside the amusement type center, and I was able to talk to another raiser while Rob laid quietly at my feet, despite the people, kids and other dogs who passed by. He did get up a couple of times, but quickly resumed his vigil in his "down/stay" position. After about 30 minutes, Trump's raisers decided to leave, so I walked them out and let the puppies visit with each other outside for few minutes.
Let's just say Trump definitely trumped Rob in that little session! Too bad they didn't get to spend more time with each other! After we all called it an night afternoon. Autumn and I dropped by Target to replace my cell phone charger. Rob had pooped before left Fun Depot, so I WRONGLY assumed that he was good to go.
I mean at home, he either does one or the other, and it was a short trip right? In and out right?
Wrong.
As we arrived in the electronics, I happened to look down in time, to see a puddle appear beneath Rob. OH.My.Word. Of COURSE I'm out of paper towels. I had my small bottle of natures miracle, and plastic bags but NO PAPER TOWELS. And what's worse was one of the employee's saw it and decided that they could handle it.
I wouldn't have been as embarrassed if it didn't look like I was completely incompetent, though I know he was only trying to help. However if my dog make a mess in public I'm going to clean it up. So I sent Autumn to the bathroom and waited by the section, while the employee sent out a call for someone to clean up a mess in electronics. So I once again told him I would clean it up and continued to wait.
Then he proceeded to tell someone he couldn't help them because the dog had made a mess. Thanks dude. Please let's draw more attention to the Raiser and her young pup why don'tcha? If she wasn't embarrassed before she is now!
Thankfully my sister arrived before the "clean up crew" and I was able to get everything taken care of quickly. But I did go ahead and purchase a roll of paper towel that will reside in my car, so I can replenish my supply quickly.
So that was our first and last public accident. Could have been worse I suppose. :)
On our way home, we happened to see some friends of ours at the park having a birthday party, so we crashed that for a little while, giving Rob yet another opportunity to meet more people. He was so tired from our other ordeal that was perfect. (don't worry I held him the entire time...believe me my arms are FEELING it lugging that 20-25lbs. monster around).
Was Rob zonked out by the time we got home, an hour and a half later? I WISH! But no.
Special thanks to Autumn for taking these photos! "Thanks for not cutting off any heads Autumn!" ;)






Comments