Three Months
Three months old.
Its hard to believe a whole month has passed since we brought Rob into our home. Its been an extremely busy, and thought provoking one to be sure. With each new puppy I learn something new, and I almost feel I could write a book on what I've learned from Rob. As it stands I'm just recording our findings in our training journal at the moment. This month Rob has discovered there is more to life than playing (much to his consternation), and to get things require a "Please" or a "Mother May I". He catches on pretty quickly and is now defaulting to a sit faster than he is doing other demand seeking things.
He's learning to relax and lay quietly at my feet while out and public, and how NOT to use his mouth on humans and other undesirable things. I'm still learning how to potty train him, and he's doing his best to "perform" for me every-time. There are instances when he'll go "just because". He's the first pup I've had who will do so, I'd love to think it was my awesome training...
He's learned that high pitched human voices signal that he did a good thing, and lower pitches means he needs to check in with mom, to see what he can do right.
He's learned that mouthing people = time out, and that he can get away with mouthing his brother and sister for a while, before anything happens, and that if he waits a few minutes, he can go back and do the same thing again, with the same results.
Our bond as human and dog team has definitely strengthened just in the last couple of weeks, I can already feel him worming his way deeper and deeper into my heart.
Today we went in for our second set of shots, and was given a great compliment from our veterinarian. Now only was he looking good health wise, but there was a noticeable difference in his mouthing. Instead of checking out every inch of her scrubs with his teeth, he sniffed her throughly while she gave him his examination. Our vet was quick to point out how much better that had gotten. I about burst with pride there.
We also let Rob ride "loose" in the car for the first time today, and he did extremely well. Up until this point he'd been riding in his crate, because. well.. he was a curious puppy..and we all know what happened to the cat..
So today was a really good day today. Unforuntatly Rob normally only has enough "good" for one day, so we'll see what tomorrow brings. :)
The "Tomorrow"
Actually he was very good on Saturday, he spent the day "helping" me clean my house and romping around in the sunshine. Sunday was another story. Sunday's area always "another story" around here, anyway a friend of mine from out of town, brought her dog over the play with Rob, which got to be his first interaction with a larger dog up close, he quickly learned to give her space and not be up in her face.
He followed her around the yard like...well a puppy and soon enticed her to play. They romped, and rolled and ran for about an hour or so, before it was just too dark to see out. So I DUMBLY stuck him in the house while I stepped out to finish my conversation.
Did I check to make sure my "valuables" where out of the way!? Noooooooooooooooooooooo. I mean that would be the "smart" thing to do after all, and I couldn't have learned ANYTHING From my previous batch of puppies.
I actually went as far as to compliment Rob, for laying so nicely on his bed and chewing his bone.
The little fiend.
He did find something to sharpen his teeth on, but that was it. Its not expensive (Thankfully) but it will be annoying to have to replace.
BTW..if you haven't filled out my survey will you do it for me? Please? Five minutes of your time max! (I think) Looking more for people who've had puppies. So far the results have played out in ways I thought they would, and in other ways not so much. Its all very interesting and I'm looking forward to getting more results so I can have more of a basis to stake my claim on. I'm not revealing at the moment as I don't want to influence your answers in anyway.
Its hard to believe a whole month has passed since we brought Rob into our home. Its been an extremely busy, and thought provoking one to be sure. With each new puppy I learn something new, and I almost feel I could write a book on what I've learned from Rob. As it stands I'm just recording our findings in our training journal at the moment. This month Rob has discovered there is more to life than playing (much to his consternation), and to get things require a "Please" or a "Mother May I". He catches on pretty quickly and is now defaulting to a sit faster than he is doing other demand seeking things.
He's learning to relax and lay quietly at my feet while out and public, and how NOT to use his mouth on humans and other undesirable things. I'm still learning how to potty train him, and he's doing his best to "perform" for me every-time. There are instances when he'll go "just because". He's the first pup I've had who will do so, I'd love to think it was my awesome training...
![]() |
| Rob sits on a step and stares at the camera. Excuse the bad photoshopping. I was rushed. |
He's learned that mouthing people = time out, and that he can get away with mouthing his brother and sister for a while, before anything happens, and that if he waits a few minutes, he can go back and do the same thing again, with the same results.
![]() |
| Rob watches Texas dig from the saftey of the porch step. Don't mess with Texas! When he's digging that is :) |
Our bond as human and dog team has definitely strengthened just in the last couple of weeks, I can already feel him worming his way deeper and deeper into my heart.
Today we went in for our second set of shots, and was given a great compliment from our veterinarian. Now only was he looking good health wise, but there was a noticeable difference in his mouthing. Instead of checking out every inch of her scrubs with his teeth, he sniffed her throughly while she gave him his examination. Our vet was quick to point out how much better that had gotten. I about burst with pride there.
We also let Rob ride "loose" in the car for the first time today, and he did extremely well. Up until this point he'd been riding in his crate, because. well.. he was a curious puppy..and we all know what happened to the cat..
So today was a really good day today. Unforuntatly Rob normally only has enough "good" for one day, so we'll see what tomorrow brings. :)
![]() |
| Texas and Rob @ 12 weeks |
Actually he was very good on Saturday, he spent the day "helping" me clean my house and romping around in the sunshine. Sunday was another story. Sunday's area always "another story" around here, anyway a friend of mine from out of town, brought her dog over the play with Rob, which got to be his first interaction with a larger dog up close, he quickly learned to give her space and not be up in her face.
He followed her around the yard like...well a puppy and soon enticed her to play. They romped, and rolled and ran for about an hour or so, before it was just too dark to see out. So I DUMBLY stuck him in the house while I stepped out to finish my conversation.
Did I check to make sure my "valuables" where out of the way!? Noooooooooooooooooooooo. I mean that would be the "smart" thing to do after all, and I couldn't have learned ANYTHING From my previous batch of puppies.
I actually went as far as to compliment Rob, for laying so nicely on his bed and chewing his bone.
The little fiend.
![]() |
| Who me? Couldn't be! |
"Um yes, so my um.........dinosaur...destroyed this when he was on his visit with me, and I just need to know how much it will cost too replace this? Did this super-cute-puppy-sitting(hopefully)-so-nicely-beside-me have anything to do with this? *gasp* Why on EARTH would you say such a thing?"Sigh.
BTW..if you haven't filled out my survey will you do it for me? Please? Five minutes of your time max! (I think) Looking more for people who've had puppies. So far the results have played out in ways I thought they would, and in other ways not so much. Its all very interesting and I'm looking forward to getting more results so I can have more of a basis to stake my claim on. I'm not revealing at the moment as I don't want to influence your answers in anyway.





Comments