Leave it...

Rob sits staring at the camera, while I ask him to "leave" his water bowl until given the "ok". 
This month we're doing a lot of impulse control training. Rob is all puppy in this aspect, but his "See it Do It" mentality can be quite frustrating to live with, and in light of him being a service dog, we want to make sure that he's a HELP to his future partner instead of a nuisance hindrance. 

So everything we do, that Rob finds rewarding, now involves some sort of time lag. 
Opening Dog Food Cabinet - Sit for 5 seconds
Opening Dog Food Container - Re cue "sit" command..for 5 seconds
Scooping food - Cue Down command 
Scoop other dogs food - Remain in down position. 
(Note to self: Need to get a towel specifically for the drool) 
Feeding other dogs - remain in down position 
Finally release dog to eat. 

Repeat Process for Water 
Repeat Process for Going out of Doors
Repeat Process for release to desired KONG toy
Repeat Process for release to play with other dogs..

Is that a tedious process? 
YES! IT IS!! 
Do I follow through that exact schedule every time?
No. I forget, I get in a hurry, there are days when I just feed in the crate, so I don't even have to worry about that. 
But is it worth it? 
Yes.
One day, someone, somewhere will thank me.
Someday. 


Rob's signature

Comments

Erin said…
What you've described sounds like a good "impulse control" protocol!  If  Rob can learn to wait and listen around food, then that foundation can help in any number of situations.

So far as the drool, Elka doesn't drool much at all, but sometimes when waiting for food she thinks she's going to get, the dripping starts.  Towels for everybody!
Erin said…
We know you can do it! ...and Rob too!
Sam
Erin said…
Way to be persistent, Erin! It helps to keep the end-game in mind, doesn't it?
Erin said…
ps. Don't you need to change Pompei's title on the right-side banner? Not IFT--but "Guide Dog?"
Erin said…
Yep, impulse is such an important skill. Even for dogs who won't have Rob's responsibilities. 

Honey is pretty good at "leave it." But I can't look at a scoop of ice cream without digging in before it starts melting. :)
Erin said…
Ooh - cool new blog!
I think this is SUCH important training that all dogs should have - not just service ones! And it's so easy to implement into daily life since you're using all the things that the dog finds naturally rewarding...sounds like you're doing a great job!

Hsin-Yi & Honey the Great Dane
Erin said…
LOL! Sounds like we'll need to work on you a bit more Pamela! :) 
Erin said…
Ah! Very true! :))

Popular Posts