Learning As We Go: Exercise

8.5.12
I wrote this post SEVERAL weeks ago, and was recently inspired to post this about David. Since that time I've been inspired to post the r'r'r'est of my thoughts after seeing a trainer friend post on Facebook comment how a "tired dog isn't a good dog, just a tired one." A good dog, is a good dog." (paraphrased)
Can I tell you? There is nothing like having a respected trainer verbalize the same thoughts you have.

So here's the thing.

I used to be a firm believer in the fact that doggy exercise had to be strenuous, (swimming, running and playing, chasing etc..) or long (miles of walks, hours of outings etc..) in order to create a calm dog.
[And if you'd had some of the dogs I've had you might be duped into believing that as well]

I hereby renege that statement. 

Over the past four eight (!!) weeks I've been training to run a 5K. 
I've been walking/running with my neighbor every other night in order to beat the heat. 

Can I tell you something? 
Exercise actually gives me energy.. So when I get home at 9:30-10:00pm I find myself staying awake until 1-2AM. Which got me to thinking.... what exactly is "heavy exercise" doing to my dogs body?
More than likely, the exact same thing. 
Actually I know this as fact.

Rob is a good example of that. The more I exercised, the more hyper he seemed to be. The harder he was to settle, but at the time I didn't know what else to do. 

So as I've gone about exercising Dave over last couple of weeks, I've had to be more aware of what I needed to do, and what I should allow him to do. Does that make sense? No? Let me put it this way.

Sunday, we went out for dinner, I knew I needed David to relax. Now in the past I would have gotten him out and ran him around the yard, walked him for a while something to burn out those wiggles! Wiggles (I now see) he really doesn't have when first emerging from his crate.

This time, I knew he'd be relaxing in his crate for several hours, and tends to wake up slowly. I compounded on this by going straight to the car (after a useless potty break of course) and heading towards the restaurant. The result? David was a veritable angel the whole time. 

This isn't the first time this has happened, (though this is the first time I've realized what was happening) there have been other cases where, instead of going out and trying to get David as "ramped up" as possible, long walk, controlled retrieves, etc.. we played outside for maybe 10 minutes, came inside, and ran through our relaxation protocol, ate Dinner from a KONG. The result? I was able to enjoy a quiet evening at a restaurant, without David being hyper. [Believe me when I say collie "hyper" is different than lab "hyper"]

However the one time I decided to get out early, working him through a couple of stores, then free run him at a park [enclosed fenced area] for a while before a sit/down meeting. Was disastrous at best. I couldn't figure out why in the world he was so ramped up!? 

So we've changed a lot in how we exercise. 

We don't do as much "strenuous" exercises. Maybe once or twice a week, walk a couple of miles, or go free run in a park. But not everyday. We make daily obedience/relaxation sessions a priority. KONGS are more in use now, especially with the heat making it impossible to do stuff for at least 12 hours.

I know what you're thinking. Erin! If I don't walk Fido 3 miles a day, he's impossible to live with!
Here's the thing. When I started training four weeks ago, I could only run a minute at a time. I was dying. 
Now I can run for for a total of 16 25 minutes without feeling on the verge of collapse. Much. anyway. 

Basically what I'm saying, the more you work out your dog strenuously, the more "fit" he/she becomes. And the MORE exercise he/she will need. Not to mention, his BRAIN is not very tired after all that. Thus still giving him plenty of opportunities to get into trouble.

There was a recent discussion on a dog training email list I'm a part of, and the over arching question was "how do I teach my dog to calm down." Through the discussion the questioner was able to realize what they were doing to keep the dog hyped up, and able to change how they interacted with the dog on a daily basis.. to help illicit more calm responses. 

Thank you Rob for that little lesson.

Now I do have to "disclaim" a bit and say every dog's needs are different, this works for David and I. Maybe it will help you? Maybe not. Do what works. My dachshunds don't even need to "exercise" just potty breaks, a chance to check out the yard than resume their naps. However I do require them to do at least 40 laps around th... just kidding. :)  However you can guarantee I will be testing this theory out on the next few dogs I get.

I love the learning process that is puppy raising. 

Comments

Popular Posts