Puppy Camp - Day 5

Rudolph looking at the camera, while attempting to scratch at his irritating collar.

Little man is doing really well here, and once again I'm convinced the older the pup the easier life is. He's picking up new things super fast, and is an all around joy to have in the house. Its so nice to have a dog that actually WANTS human contact!

I've wanted to write a post regarding the difference between raising a lab/golden/x puppy and a collie, but haven't felt as if I have adequate information after only five months of collie "ownership". However its really hard NOT to compare the breeds when you have them in the same house.

Rudolph being your typical lab/golden/x puppy is very affectionate, and desirous of human contact and attention, where as David really could careless. However, they both have a ginormous independent streak, and like to seek adventure. I will say Rudolph definitely is smarter than Davey Boy... which is good and bad. As "he" said in his last post, he quickly learned that to "sit"="please" and will follow me around the house (when it looks like I'm doing something interesting) sitting.

Can I tell you how hard it is to resist these eyes? I DARE YOU.


Also just goes to show you, the behavior that is rewarded MOST is the behavior that will be repeated most. Look for your dog's good behavior and let them know THAT is what you want them to do! I can't emphasis this enough!

Anyway, back to my the boys. ahem. "My" boys.


He is more in tune to food than Dave is, He notices the food smells while I'm eating, or cooking, and is quick to try and investigate where that food is located. Don't let those little legs fool you, buddy-boy is QUITE agile.
Whereas David realizes there is food around, it looks good to him, but getting his legs, eyes, mouth, and ears coordinator to reach said food would take an act of God I believe.

WHICH. I'm PERFECTLY OK with.

He's also much more "willing" to please, in a sense of the word "please". David could honestly careless about my opinions of things, unless they happen to conincide with his. Sit to go outside? Welll I like going outside, but not at the moment, oh I have to stay inside if I don't sit? Ok. Oh you want me to sit in the crate too? Ok. ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ.

He's such a hard dog to motivate.

Speaking of motivation...

David and Rudolph squeeze into the bathroom, to watch me do my hair in the morning. David is laying down by the toilet while Ruddy stands on the mat looking up at me.
I actually think Rudolph may be motivating David to good behavior as well, (much to my delight). As I've said over and over again, Teen Dave is not the easiest creature to live with, but seeing Rudolph get fussed over and rewarded, he's decided it wouldn't hurt him to sit a bit faster...!

hmmm

So Carolyn.. (Ruddy's Raiser) - How about this, when you get home, contact GDF let them know you'll need a replacement puppy and I'll just keep Rudolph ok? Sounds good? Great! It was nice meeting you!
We'll see you at a puppy meeting sometime!

Rudolph stands on the porch looking at me, with Bubbles standing behind him.

Erin & David

Comments

Erin said…
Although having two puppies in the house must be tough, it sounds like you're using this as a learning experience. It's neat to hear that David is learning from Rudolph to get what he wants.
Erin said…
Actually I will say that it's actually easier to to have two puppies than just one, as they can entertain each other, and don't have as much focus to be uber destrutive. That being said, I let my guard (and baby-gates) down a couple of times, and Rudolph reminded me that he's very much a lab puppy. My poor shoes. :)))

Popular Posts