Four Days Down

Has it only been four days? Tim is a very goofy dog, and I think he's younger than I'm thinking he is.. We'll find out for sure on Friday; over the last couple of days, i have kept our exposures down to a minimal, as I wanted him to start recognizing me as the leader and trying to see what he knows.

I think he's beginning to adjust to our schedule, and is not waking up at 8:30AM (hey its early for me!!) and whining ;D
His house manners are perfect, and I have been able to leave him loose, for a little while, come back to find the house still intact

This is going to be a different experiance for me, as I'm not used to working with the "end result". Its a lot different than puppy-hood, because you can mold the pups into what you want them to be, and have a longer length of time, to work them through things.
After talking with the president, and getting some more information about the training process; I have really stepped back and started to think about what my PERSONAL convictions about dog training, and really I don't have a whole lot, I don't think there is much, really and truly.

The first thing would be treat your dog as a DOG, and not a furry human. They don't think like humans, act like humans etc...

Positive Only dog training, annoys me so much. I am the oldest of six kids, I have bossy down to a science. (LOL); My parents did believe in corproal punishment, and we did get spankings growing up (shock and surprise) which is probably why I'm they way I am today. (Beautiful, Smart Inttelligent...ok ok ) When it comes to dogs, I want them to obey me because they want to please me, not because I have a treat ready to shove down their throats.Now this is not to say that I don't use treats to train....I do...but by the time my dogs are about a year old, I do expect obediance without reward; and disobediance will recieve a correction.

First time command - I have been in many situations where I have needed the dog to obey immediatly, so I'm a big advocate of that. If my dog is running toward a busy road, I want my "Come" to have an immediate reaction.

Pack Leader - Yes dogs are pack animals....they do need a leader or they will fill that role themselves. Texas is trying his best for real!

Don't live in the Past - Dogs don't and you can't move forward looking backwards at past mistakes. Look for the good and magnify it.

DON'T GET FRUSTRATED - If you find yourself frustrated while training, just go do something else. Cool down. Believe me its not easy, I was in Wal-Mart and I could feel my blood pressure rising, and so I had to find a quiet place just to breathe and re-evaluate how I was handling things.

Don't give a command that won't be followed through - Rei was a runner, she would take off anytime she could; and I had to learn that it was no use yelling for her, she wasn't listening anyways! Just keep up and tackle when you got close enough. If you see your dog is focused on something, try moving away or something until you have his/her attention and then give the command.

I'm sure there is more, but for now this is all; so to sum this all up.
Stay Calm and Assertive in all situations and remeber these three things. Rules. Excerise and Discipline.

TtYL

Erin
Wilderwoods Advance Trainer

Tim, Bubbles and Texas

Comments

Popular Posts