10 Months
Have I mentioned my puppy is 10-months-old? Seriously!?
Since the "big snip" I have seen a marked improvement in David's behavior, much faster than I was really expecting. 90 days is normally the given time before behavior changes occur after a neuter, so to have my dog morph so quickly has been a bit of a surprise. No worries, he still is exercising his right to choose, but he's a lot less resistant, shall we say.
"Come? But you're about to go inside!? I don't wanna go inside... SQUIRREL!"
Yeah.
This point,this age... I believe, is the hardest part in the experience of puppy walking, the dog "knows" all his/her commands, and is starting to get bored with outings. Grocery Stores? Check. Clothing Stores? Check. Pet Stores? Check. Parks? City Life? Hotels? Check. Check. Check. Young People? Old People? Big People? Little People? Golf Courses? Doctor's Offices? Vet's Offices? ..... been there done that.
I can almost see the thoughts in David's mind when going in places nowadays.
You know if he had something productive to do, he'd be fine. And yes we've tried the whole "lets carry a toy thing", so for now we just go into survival mode, nice short outings before the puppy gets to bored. Wear his mind out before long outings etc.. focus on what he CAN do, and go from there.
Sigh.
Happy 10 Months (two weeks late) Dave!
Since the "big snip" I have seen a marked improvement in David's behavior, much faster than I was really expecting. 90 days is normally the given time before behavior changes occur after a neuter, so to have my dog morph so quickly has been a bit of a surprise. No worries, he still is exercising his right to choose, but he's a lot less resistant, shall we say.
"Come? But you're about to go inside!? I don't wanna go inside... SQUIRREL!"
Yeah.
This point,this age... I believe, is the hardest part in the experience of puppy walking, the dog "knows" all his/her commands, and is starting to get bored with outings. Grocery Stores? Check. Clothing Stores? Check. Pet Stores? Check. Parks? City Life? Hotels? Check. Check. Check. Young People? Old People? Big People? Little People? Golf Courses? Doctor's Offices? Vet's Offices? ..... been there done that.
I can almost see the thoughts in David's mind when going in places nowadays.
"Ooo what have we here? Another grocery store? Sigh." "Hey mom!Mom! check out what I can do! MoooOOoM! Mom!Mom!Mom!Mom!"
You know if he had something productive to do, he'd be fine. And yes we've tried the whole "lets carry a toy thing", so for now we just go into survival mode, nice short outings before the puppy gets to bored. Wear his mind out before long outings etc.. focus on what he CAN do, and go from there.
Sigh.
Happy 10 Months (two weeks late) Dave!


Comments
(last night, Elka was laying in the same way that David is in the very last picture! On the couch with me, though, not in a bed.
Happy 10 months, David!