Daaaaavid!


The stage where I feel as if all I do is complain about my puppy, at the very least to myself, if not other people. The stage that isn't discussed NEAR enough in my opinion. The stage where I comfort myself with stories of "..the puppy that I used to know.."

Anyone whose lived with an adolescent male knows that they aren't the easiest creates to live with during this time and that is putting it lightly. I am under the strong opinion that females are so.much.easier during this time, but don't quote me on that, since it has been YEARS since I've had a female dog.I may have elevated (even Rei) to a higher status, then my male dogs. (at least during this portion of their lives) Have I mentioned  I'm holding out for a girl dog next time? Anyway. 

David's adolescent stage has seemed to go as follows: 
Two weeks new, random, strange, annoying, behavior pops up; just when we can't handle it any more it dissipates. Then the next two weeks Dave is back, we settled back down, the sun shines, the birds sing, I enjoy being a puppy raiser again.. 

Then the cycle repeats. 

Now honestly, I can't say that has happened for a fact, but it really feels this way. It may be a shorter period or a longer period, but you get the idea. The dog who for the past six month never chewed a THING (besides the random paper or cardboard) suddenly decides X-Y-Z looks tasty! 

Really David? I apparently was under the impression that since he didn't chew in the beginning that just wouldn't crop up. He's a collie after all. They don't chew.  But oh. It did. (I have abandoned my "a dog is a dog is a dog" mantra. I need to go find it again.) Though compared to the labs/retriever breeds it was quite "un-impressive" aka I can count the number of things he chewed on one hand, unfortunately he has expensive tastes, however after Thursday, he seems to have abandoned that behavior. 

Sigh. 

Oh and we're not going to even mention his energy levels. Oh wait. Yes we are. 

After our recent trip to the vet, we came home with some antibiotics which "could make him really hyper, or really lethargic, and if that's the case you should discontinue use immediately." At the same time we hit a energy spurt. Those of you who follow me on Twitter/Facebook know I couldn't figure out what was going on with my pup. Was it the meds that were causing this hyper dog? Discontinued the meds for a couple of days, dog was just as nutty. Then suddenly the switch was flipped off again, and he's back to his normal chill self. Re-instated the meds with no further crazy behavior.

Argh.

Only six more months to go.

Surely his brain will run out of new ideas soon right? Right? 

In the mean time we're throwing a triple dose of train/exercise/outings this week. I found someone who is starting a free, weekly, obedience class/practice session and I'm hoping it will get to be a regular thing for David and I. He needs the aspect of working in a challenging environment (the other dogs) and I'm all about letting someone else running the show for a bit, and maybe challenge me in different ways. (Hopefully we are on the same page training wise, but I'm used to being the odd man out so.) 

Erin & David

Comments

Erin said…
Dublin was always a good boy in the car and never chewed on anything. One day out of the blue he decided to chew up the emergency brake! I'm not too sure what was going on in his head that day, but I'm assuming it was some kind of adolescent behavior.

I hope David gets out of his adolescent behavior soon.
Erin said…
I'm telling you-- Males are better. My co-leader and I have opposing opinions on this so when a new raiser asks which gender is better we both give our opinions and confuse people entirely- but I'm telling you... Most girls hold grudges and are more aloof. I love that the males really care what you think and are more forgiving. (oh yeah, and I have a golden that REALLY cares what I think.) I like the females- (seeing as how I have Judith) but thinking back... I've only had 2 really nice females, 4 really nice males. (I'm trying REALLY hard not to expect a nice pup coming up, I guess I'm due for a crazy pup, but it's a Phoenix pup- it'd better be nice ;) )

Overall, When I have a choice- I'm all for the Males. And that was supposed to make you feel better... ;) (P.S. if you come to GDB you'll get a female super quick if you're willing to house an in-season female.)
Erin said…
Haha!! You're going to have a realllly hard time convincing me of that! I can handle aloofness + grudges, those dissipate quickly with the speedy maturity of the female mind. (haha) HOWEVER. The males take so long to mature, I'm way over them by the time they finally decide to settle down (Texas being the exception as he never had a "teenage" stage). I've had 10 males over the last six years right, and out of that bunch there were three that I would have kept if I could. The rest were crazy once they hit six months.

So in conclusion, I would much rather have an aloof, but mature female, then the goofy, semi-out-of-control males.

I rest my case.
Erin said…
If you walk through nearly any shelter in the nation, you find dog after dog is an adolescent male. They do try people's patience at this time. Keep the faith.


Hope the training class gives you some fun and good ideas.

Popular Posts