Settling IN

Ben's settling into our household rather nicely;

I finally get why our dogs are so old when we send them IFT; I'm speaking about GDF and other organizations like that.

There is SUCH a HUGE difference between a dog that's 12-months, and a 18-month/2 year old dog. Wow.

Ben is probably about 18-24 months old, and the differences between him and Veda are big. (THAT IS IN NO MEANS A REFLECTION ON VEDA'S PUPPY RAISER)

Its hard for me to put into words, the exact differences, but there just isn't much"fighting" or "power struggling" as there is with a younger dog, he's more willing to listen, and do, instead of ignoring...this all could be just Ben, and him specifically.... but I think its more than that.
Its been such a relief, to be able to ask and have it carried out...rather than ask..than command etc..

We've been working hard on our commands, and Incorporating them into everything..a few of you mentioned that, it seemed like I was throwing a lot at him in one day.......

Remember that, most of this is being taught through plain old repetition....my house rule, is all dogs wait at the door, before going out. So when I open the door, I automatically say WAIT.
And thus the wait command is being taught/learned. My dachshunds do this so well, they won't even come into the kitchen until I tell them ok.

The same goes for the Let's Go command....or Forward like we used with GDF.....everytime we are on leash and about to move...its: "Let's Go Ben". And thus the command is taught/learned.

So while it may seem like a lot....its really just placing a word with the action we are doing!

This Week we'll be working on:
Sit, Down, Wait, Come, Dog's Name, Look, Go Get It, Ok, Yes, Stand, Paws, Let's Go

My Three Dogs
::Everyone "waits" for mom to take more pictures::


Question: So how do you train your dogs?

Comments

I know age makes a huge difference in training. Heck, Rufus was still a puppy when I got him at 20 months. But by his 2, and especially his 3, birthday, he had really settled in and there wasn't much struggle. Commands were asked once and done quickly without any hesitation.

I do formal training with Rufus a couple times a week. He thrives on the structure of extra obedience practice. I do short formal training sessions whenever I'm teaching something new. We are working on fun stuff like high 5 and find objects in the house regularly.
Erin said…
I know age makes a huge difference in training. Heck, Rufus was still a puppy when I got him at 20 months. But by his 2, and especially his 3, birthday, he had really settled in and there wasn't much struggle. Commands were asked once and done quickly without any hesitation.

I do formal training with Rufus a couple times a week. He thrives on the structure of extra obedience practice. I do short formal training sessions whenever I'm teaching something new. We are working on fun stuff like high 5 and find objects in the house regularly.

Popular Posts