9 Months
This past month I could definitely tell I had an intact male in my house. An intact adolescent male I should say. A lot more energy, a lot more interest in my female dog, a lot more confidence around strange dogs, a lot more physical ability, (aka he can finally hop in the back of the car on his own) a lot more attitude....
I find I have to remind myself more often to KEEP practicing his obedience training, whether it seems to be soaking in or not. There are times I'm just not sure anything is happening up there.
That being said, I am seeing small glimpses of maturity along the way, shining a little light at the end of this adolescent tunnel. I do have to say, that David, with all of his little quircky nuances, he's still one of the easier males that I've had!
Some things he'd picked up during months 6 and 7 he has long since abandoned. This post I wrote (yet never posted) a couple of weeks back..
May 2012
I can't decide if I should call this the "teenage stage" or the "terrible twos" they both are apt descriptions depending on the day.
Our new "behavior" is just plain annoying, and is going to get David kicked out of my bedroom for a couple of nights. The dog that used to put himself to bed promptly at 11PM, and lay on his own dog bed, no problem. Has decided that its not FAIR that the dachshunds get to sleep with me, while he's subjected to the floor. While he's never really felt that was fair, he's not protested this discrepancy much.
He would stand on the side of the bed and poke at the lumps on the bed, but would quickly retire to his bed after getting snarled at a couple of times.
Now?
He's brought his game face.
He'll pull the covers off the bed, or bark incessantly at something the rest of us can't hear.
Thank goodness we're move past all that.
Fourth of July
[Alternate Title: The Sky is Falling]I really hope everyone had a great fourth of July!
As we know, most guide dogs schools, dog organization etc.. recommend that you keep your dog and puppies away from firework displays as they can be very scary. What they forgot to include in our instruction manual (and I looked!) is what to do should those firework displays come to you. My neighbors decided to shoot some pretty big, and very loud fireworks last night. About 60ft away from my house. Let's just say Chicken Little was creating an uproar in our house. We were so glad that they shut it down fairly earlier.
Coming Up in July 2012
This month will be incredibly busy. All those weeks of lamenting about my lack of activity is about to made up in the next couple of months.This weekend we meet up with Kacie and Rei, next week we schedule David for his surgery, the next week we have a puppy meeting, and the week after that we'll be baby-sitting our news group member (who has yet to arrive). Its going to be fun! ;)



Comments
Happy 10 months! And can we say 'look at those long legs!'