Six Years...

How sad is it that I missed one of the most important anniversaries in my life to date? Honestly, you would think I'd put it on my calender or something!

I didn't. Hence why it wasn't until I was putting together a collage for my A/C (who is moving in the next few weeks) that I realized that June 10, 2012 marked six years as a puppy raiser for the Guide Dog Foundation for the Blind.

As I say every year, I never imagined I'd still be here six years later. I know people have all kinds of valid reasons for not raising puppies after a certain time period, or number etc.. I have yet to reach that point. Breaks are good for sure, my six month foray taught me that. There will definitely  probably  more than likely be a break between David and Puppy #8 <-- Eek!? Eight!?

The last six years have definitely been a roller coaster ride. There's no other accurate way to explain it. There are ups and downs, times when you can't bear the thought of loosing your puppy, and times when you are counting down the days until they leave.

I've gone back through my blog and started re-reading from my very first post. Lets just say, in the beginning I was a very silly blogger. Also I used too many exclamation points. I can't remember the last time I've used an exclamation point in recent history. I was also very dramatic. And Easily Excitable. And Easily impressed (Cesar Milan anyone?) I also had to remove a bunch of dead links, from post after post. Whatever possessed me to delete the account I used to host photos is beyond me. So annoying.

However I did find these amusing tid-bits and photos.. :) Enjoy!

First Family Portrait to include a puppy :) 


First road trip with a puppy! Chi-Town Baby! :) 
Jake complete won my grandparents over, they STILL talk about to this day,
though I think Pompei's close behind.

Soon after this picture, we found out Jake was career changed..

During my "down time" between puppies, I baby-sat "Honey" Jake's litter mate for two weeks... and wrote these long posts [disjointed] about how I became a puppy raiser.. Part 1 - Part 2 - Part 3 - Part 4 - .. apparently I didn't finish this series.. 


Rei arrived with in a week after returning Honey to her raisers....


Funny Quote while I had Rei: 

"And at Goodwill (thrift store) I had the manager tell me that dogs weren't allowed in the store(new lady i've take Jake and Honey into the same store). And then i had someone come up to me and ask if Rei was a PIT or already a Guide. Mind you she is sitting in a buggy. People don't think sometimes...."  [12.27.06] 

Then began the school adventures...

OK Guys....

I'm going to take the plunge.
Yes My leader and I will be talking to my teacher about bringing Rei to my Friday class.
Yeah! I miss not having her with me!
Rei at school
And we puppy camped Paul .....

We Made Friends...

We worked hard to transform my wild child into a mature adult.. 
It paid off in the end!

Midnight... came next.. my heart dog... <3
I like to think back on her fondly as an angel, but she still had some funny moments..  and some nerve wracking ones..the following is a video I made of midnight.. unfortunately YouTube removed my "Mac Music" and sound. soo.. enjoy? 







And became a breeder..  while I decided to wait for her to have puppies, I was offered a job as a service dog trainer, and took a year off from GDF to train and raise puppies for them. But like a boomerang, as soon as I put in my notice with that school, I emailed GDF to let them know I was ready for another puppy. A week later Pompei came. I miss this dog. Between giving up him and Midnight, its a wonder my heart isn't completely broken. We had so much fun together.





However, knowing he is changing someone's life is worth it.

Then of course you all remember Rob and Trump, and David of course :) So I won't get into a bazzillion pictures of them. :) If anything I think becoming a puppy raiser has been one of the most worthwhile ventures I have done.

Comments

Erin said…
What a nice remembrance. I discovered your blog toward the end of your time with Pompeii. It's amazing how much time has passed.

Popular Posts