Visiting Rei

David in the car on the way down.
For the first time in two years, my schedule was free the weekend of the W families annual trip to Tennessee for their family reunion. David and I were able to make the hour and a half trip across the mountain and spend sometime with them.

The main question everyone wants to know.. Did Rei remember me?
Yes, yes she did. :)

At one point during the evening I asked Kacie if Rei was this clingy to everyone (gotta make sure ya know) and was immensely gratified to find that nope, I'm special! :)

When I first arrived at the hotel, I texted Kacie and asked them to meet me outside, as I knew David was going to.. raise cain over another dog. As soon as Rei saw me, I knew she recognized me, but could tell she was trying her best to restrain herself. Our meeting had to wait, as David was insisting I keep all my focus on him.

I should go ahead and mention here, that Rei is a female, David is an intact, adolescent, male. (Neuter scheduled Tuesday!) You can imagine how the evening went. (Something I haven't had to think about as most of the dogs we interact with are male) The end.

Once we got to the hotel room, Kacie's husband restrained David and Rei was allowed to greet me. She was BEYOND excited jumping all over me, ramming me in the mouth with hers (somethings never change!) scooting around the room in typical labby fashion. Through out the evening, she pretty much stuck to my side like glue.

We let the dogs interact with each other a bit.. Dave was an intact, adolescent, male.. and eventually we wound up putting him the bathroom for a bit, so we could all have some semblance of a conversation.

We decided to go get some food, and I'm ashamed to say there was some doubt that David could hold himself together for the dinner, but he proved us all very wrong, not only was able to lay beside Rei and not bother her, but was mostly quiet and still for the entire meal. Apparently there is just a short in the actti

After dinner we went back to the hotel for a bit, and the dogs were able to play more normally, and quietly giving Kacie and I a chance to talk, eventually six-year-old Rei was tired of 9-month-old David's antics and came and cuddled with me some more. [heart melt]

I miss having a cuddly dog.

Rei lays across my lap while I chat with Kacie
It so awesome to see what an amazing dog she has become, though you know she wanted to be with me, when she was in harness she was focused on Kacie's needs and nothing was going to waver her. It's a truly gratifying thing to see (though I didn't get to see much, since I had to keep David in front of everyone :-[ )

I enjoyed meeting Kacie's immediate and extended family while I was there as well. Knowing Rei is so well cared for makes everything worth it! :) 

Comments

Erin said…
It must feel so special to know years later what a great job you've done with a dog. And it sounds like David did an excellent job at dinner. Way to go!
Erin said…
How huge your heart must be this week! What an amazing feeling it is to get to go visit your past pups! What a beautiful moment. And so nice that they took photos of you with Rei!!
Erin said…
What a great reunion story! How wonderful that Rei remembered you and still loves you so much, while still remembering her job. She's an amazing dog. You should be super proud.
Erin said…
Yes it was indescribable! So incredibly blessed that they are so willing to stay in contact with me!
Erin said…
Thank you! Yes David was well behaved at Dinner... other than that I kinda wish I'd left him home, but they wanted to see him as well so :) We'll know next time. Intact dogs stay home.
Erin said…
She is really amazing, words can't express how proud I am of my little girl!

Popular Posts