Ahh Dominance
Dominance.
This post is Mimi's fault, so you can all blame her! :)) But my comment on her post would have been too long so I decided to blog about it. Its something I've wanted to put out there for a while, but haven't had the time put my thoughts into words.
When Cesar Milan first "came out" my area coordinator was all over him, and passing him along to everyone she could get her hands on. I watched it and was inspired by the "instant" results he was getting. I tried to implement his "ways" with my dogs, but was always a little miffed by the results I was or wasn't getting.
Bubbles has always been (in his words) calm submissive dog, and I knew we'd not done any of the things recommended for establishing dominance over her, it boggled me that she wasn't totally just ruling the roost per se. It also confused me as too why millions of dogs weren't totaling messing up their humans lives.
It wasn't until this year, when I started working with other trainers, following trainers on twitter actively communicating with trainers on a regular basis that I began to realize...the dominance theory is just that. A Theory.
My puppy class has heard this over and over from me, but the more I say the truer it rings to me. Dogs do what is most rewarding at the time. Pulling ...it the majority of the time gets them to where they want to go, what they want to get out etc... so why stop?!
Barking - Self rewarding. Digging, Tearing up things, It feels good, and feeds a primal instinct...
Jumping another thing I've heard is a "dominant" behavior. Actually Pompei will have jumping issues when he is older..(psht he's doing it now what am I talking about!) I know this because I am in fact "encouraging" it in him. (*gasps*) Its really simple actually, and something my first boss/dog trainer told me about. Because I carry him pretty much everywhere, and he enjoys being near my face, he's going to want to try to get back to that position as he grows.
Is he trying to let me know whose boss? Noo he just wants that comfort of being near me. It is than my job, to teach him that greeting me is best with all feet on the floor.
I like to consider myself my dogs teacher. It sounds so much kinder than being a pack leader. If the dog is pulling, its because I haven't taught him/her NOT to pull while on leash. When I encounter behavior problems (Think Ira, Tim etc..) before I correct/reward/redirect, I evaluate the situation, have I ever told the dog not to do this, have I ever trained the dog to respond in this situation.
It was SUCH a relief to realize I didn't have to fight for a position there never was. LIke I said, there was no need to dominate Bubbles when she was already as relaxed, and compliant. Texas came into the picture...I began training with him verses trying to dominant him, as that was just scaring the pee out of him. Does Texas have issues? Yes, he's extremely reactive on leash/in the car/ in the house towards people and other dogs. Oh! Dominant behaviors!! Noo...its called lack of socialization, fear and lack of training. I am the first to admit too you that where Texas is concerned we have not made much progress, mainly because I had to focus my attention on the 14+ dogs trasiping around my house. That and he's the most submissive dog you'll come across...once he realizes the new human has no plans on eating him for breakfast.
Here are some of things you can do to help your dog not only learn self control,(stolen from Cabana and Mimi's blog but its a great list!) but exercise his mind as well. We find a lot of "bad" behavior in dogs, come from lack of mental and physical exercise as for the most part.
But while all that good it doesn't exactly establish a dominance over our poor defenseless creature.
Here's some more information if you want to devle into it some more
Anyway I'd love to hear your ideas, and thoughts! Hopefully this post isn't as disjointed as I normally am!! :))
This post is Mimi's fault, so you can all blame her! :)) But my comment on her post would have been too long so I decided to blog about it. Its something I've wanted to put out there for a while, but haven't had the time put my thoughts into words.
**DISCLAIMER**
THIS POST IS NOT TO BASH ANYONE'S VIEWS OR OPINIONS, BUT JUST TO GIVE YOU AN ALTERNATIVE LOOK AT THIS THEROY, AND HOPEFULLY FREE YOU UP MENTALLY AS WELL!
When Cesar Milan first "came out" my area coordinator was all over him, and passing him along to everyone she could get her hands on. I watched it and was inspired by the "instant" results he was getting. I tried to implement his "ways" with my dogs, but was always a little miffed by the results I was or wasn't getting.
Bubbles has always been (in his words) calm submissive dog, and I knew we'd not done any of the things recommended for establishing dominance over her, it boggled me that she wasn't totally just ruling the roost per se. It also confused me as too why millions of dogs weren't totaling messing up their humans lives.
It wasn't until this year, when I started working with other trainers, following trainers on twitter actively communicating with trainers on a regular basis that I began to realize...the dominance theory is just that. A Theory.
Science has proved, that there is a pack order..among DOGS, but in regards to humans... well we're a completely different species. (see links below)
My puppy class has heard this over and over from me, but the more I say the truer it rings to me. Dogs do what is most rewarding at the time. Pulling ...it the majority of the time gets them to where they want to go, what they want to get out etc... so why stop?!
Barking - Self rewarding. Digging, Tearing up things, It feels good, and feeds a primal instinct...
Jumping another thing I've heard is a "dominant" behavior. Actually Pompei will have jumping issues when he is older..(psht he's doing it now what am I talking about!) I know this because I am in fact "encouraging" it in him. (*gasps*) Its really simple actually, and something my first boss/dog trainer told me about. Because I carry him pretty much everywhere, and he enjoys being near my face, he's going to want to try to get back to that position as he grows.
Is he trying to let me know whose boss? Noo he just wants that comfort of being near me. It is than my job, to teach him that greeting me is best with all feet on the floor.
I like to consider myself my dogs teacher. It sounds so much kinder than being a pack leader. If the dog is pulling, its because I haven't taught him/her NOT to pull while on leash. When I encounter behavior problems (Think Ira, Tim etc..) before I correct/reward/redirect, I evaluate the situation, have I ever told the dog not to do this, have I ever trained the dog to respond in this situation.
It was SUCH a relief to realize I didn't have to fight for a position there never was. LIke I said, there was no need to dominate Bubbles when she was already as relaxed, and compliant. Texas came into the picture...I began training with him verses trying to dominant him, as that was just scaring the pee out of him. Does Texas have issues? Yes, he's extremely reactive on leash/in the car/ in the house towards people and other dogs. Oh! Dominant behaviors!! Noo...its called lack of socialization, fear and lack of training. I am the first to admit too you that where Texas is concerned we have not made much progress, mainly because I had to focus my attention on the 14+ dogs trasiping around my house. That and he's the most submissive dog you'll come across...once he realizes the new human has no plans on eating him for breakfast.
Here are some of things you can do to help your dog not only learn self control,(stolen from Cabana and Mimi's blog but its a great list!) but exercise his mind as well. We find a lot of "bad" behavior in dogs, come from lack of mental and physical exercise as for the most part.
- Enter and exit doorways first. It's best to teach your dog to wait until you invite your dog to cross the threshold. (Same goes for stairs.) (This is something I am super strict with my dogs about, not to establish leadership, but for their own saftey and for any visitors to my home, its not nice to be bowled over by four dogs, as you are trying to come into a home.)
- Pet and play with your dog often throughout the day--but make sure YOU are the one initiating. If you only pet and play in response to your dog's solicitation, you are setting yourself up for constant pestering. (Very True!!)
- Have your dog do something to earn treats, rather than handing them out pell-mell. (A great way for your dog to use his mind, as my dogs are running around in the yard they will randomly come back to me, and they have to sit, or do a trick or two, before getting their reward. So they get reinforced for returning to me, but doing some other things as well.)
- On walks, keep your dog at your side, not out in front of you. You are determining where to go and the speed. If your dog wants to stop and sniff, make sure she waits until you release her to do so. (A great way to keep your dog under your control, I'll admit to letting me dogs walk in front of me if there are no other dogs or people around, but as soon as we are, I expect them to be by myside. Weee still have some work to do on that one...)
- Some dog experts would say not to let your dog get up on furniture or on your bed (Guide Dogs would concur with this). If you do choose to let your dog sit on furniture, make him wait until he's been invited, rather than giving him full ownership of the couch. (I can't say anything about this the dachshunds are lounging on the recliner as I type, but they do move when I tell them too)
- Puppy push-ups (sit, down, sit, down) are great for establishing obedience randomly throughout the day. (Once again working those brain muscles!!)
But while all that good it doesn't exactly establish a dominance over our poor defenseless creature.
Here's some more information if you want to devle into it some more
- Comparing Apples and Oranges to Magic Beans
- Dominance in Dogs
- The Dominance Controversy & Cesar Milan
- Positive Dog Trainers on Twitter
- Pack Theroy....Pack it In!
- Dog Trying to Dominate your world?
Anyway I'd love to hear your ideas, and thoughts! Hopefully this post isn't as disjointed as I normally am!! :))

Comments
I appreciate the information and the redirect, Erin. You won't get any arguments from me because you and Katrin both know WAYYYY more about dogs than I do. I've had ONE dog for ONE short year, so I can't claim to be an expert in anything dog related.
But personally, it HELPS me to think of myself as Cabana's pack leader. It helps me to try to behave in ways that she will understand, to try think more like a dog, rather than making her try to decipher everything in human-ese.
But your point is well taken--and I appreciate your taking the time to share the info in this post!! You rock!
I think more trainers agree on things than they admit, they just word things differently or focus on different aspects. Cesar isn't about "training" dogs, he's about training people how to regain control of their "energy" or feelings in regards to their dogs. I know my dogs are much more willing to "meet me in the middle" if I'm calm and assertive, although I don't have any issues being too assertive ;-) They're also much more comfortable to live with but I don't think it's about dominance as much as it is communicating in a way they understand. We can teach them to respond to cues, but they'll still notice our body language and energy more because that's their "first language". Not sticking up for Cesar 100% but I do think people take his methods as "one size fits all" versus those just being bad cases where the people need redirected to learn how to return their dogs to the natural follower position. If there's one thing all trainers agree on it's that dogs will be dominant, or pack leader, if the position is not filled, but naturally most do not want to :-D
Nice post!
I do agree we have to communicate in a way they understand while remember we're not dogs, and they aren't going to respond to us the same as other dogs.
I also agree that if dogs aren't given rules, boundaries and limitation, you will have a dog that displays out of control behaviors.
I don't think that being a pack leader or asserting dominance NEEDS to have such a negative connotation. Cesar Milan is definitely not the only one who espouses this way of thinking, although he may be best known for it and give it a negative rap. Patricia McConnell is one of the most positive dog training authors out there, and she also talks about being a pack leader.
Being a pack leader means taking responsibility for the dogs in the pack, exerting positive leadership, not necessarily "do it my way or the highway." There are plenty of times as a parent where I need to "assert my dominance", not because I want to rub my kids' noses in the fact that I'm in charge--but because I'm doing what I believe is best for them.
And although it's nice to be able to think of trainer and dog as a team, many of our dogs are puppies, which is what I still consider Cabana. Maybe you can be a team with an adult dog, but with a puppy, they are entirely dependent on us to show them what we need them to learn in order to live in our human homes.
For example, I have a team-oriented relationship with my 16-year old daughter now--we both know the goals in our lives and help each other move toward them. But when I was changing her diapers at 1-year old, it would be crazy to call us "a team"; as a baby, she didn't know what goals were, much less how to move toward them!
I hope that I won't always need to remind Cabana that I'm in charge--but at this point, if I give her an inch, she'll take a mile. And like I said, I tend to be a big pushover--so I need to remind MYSELF that I'm in charge, or I will just do everything that Cabana wants, whenever she want, even to my own detriment.
So, that's where I'm coming from. ;P
I agree that our dogs are puppies, but its still a team effort from day one, me to instruct him to perform. Me to realize some situations are not good for him, and him to do what he's supposed when he's supposed to. By the time we're finished, we'll be flowing freely, but until than, its an effort. As with any "relationship".
Just because they are little doesn't make them any less of a dog. Except physically. :)))
Smile!
I'm not saying that's what you're saying, but that's what i'm saying. *lmbo
I agree that our dogs are puppies, but its still a team effort from day one, me to instruct him to perform. Me to realize some situations are not good for him, and him to do what he's supposed when he's supposed to. By the time we're finished, we'll be flowing freely, but until than, its an effort. As with any "relationship".
Just because they are little doesn't make them any less of a dog. Except physically. :)))
Smile!
I'm not saying that's what you're saying, but that's what i'm saying. *lmbo
I do agree we have to communicate in a way they understand while remember we're not dogs, and they aren't going to respond to us the same as other dogs.
I also agree that if dogs aren't given rules, boundaries and limitation, you will have a dog that displays out of control behaviors.
I think more trainers agree on things than they admit, they just word things differently or focus on different aspects. Cesar isn't about "training" dogs, he's about training people how to regain control of their "energy" or feelings in regards to their dogs. I know my dogs are much more willing to "meet me in the middle" if I'm calm and assertive, although I don't have any issues being too assertive ;-) They're also much more comfortable to live with but I don't think it's about dominance as much as it is communicating in a way they understand. We can teach them to respond to cues, but they'll still notice our body language and energy more because that's their "first language". Not sticking up for Cesar 100% but I do think people take his methods as "one size fits all" versus those just being bad cases where the people need redirected to learn how to return their dogs to the natural follower position. If there's one thing all trainers agree on it's that dogs will be dominant, or pack leader, if the position is not filled, but naturally most do not want to :-D
Nice post!