Goodbye Wilderwood & Victoria

I hate to admit this, but all I can feel right at this second is relief. Its over, I can focus on school, and not have to try to squeeze in appointments, consultations, classes, make sure everyone has been medicated, reports to write, email reminders not only to our volunteers, but our foster families, make vet appointments...on top of caring for "my" four dogs, work at UT etc.etc..


In other words...I HAVE MY LIFE BACK!!!!!!!


It was fun while it lasted, but Wednesday marked my last day with Wilderwood Service Dogs. Wednesday was also Pompei's first debut in two of my classes. Since my sister and I had classes around the same times, I asked her if she wouldn't mind hanging onto Pompster's for about an hour, after classes were over while I headed onto work. That way when my mom came to pick her up for work, they would just take him home with them.


Little bit apprehensive about leaving him with my loving kind but very un-dog savvy sister...but it was only hour...what could it hurt?


{Pompei sitting on a tree stump looking at me, this is one of the photos I'm turning in for my photo class assignment}
In return for her doing that little favour, my parents talked me into driving her out to the campus for her class, which only started about an hour before mine. heh.


But that gave me time to get him situated, and walk to the buildings from my parking spot 2.5 miles away. (justKidding) We pottied, and loaded up my bag with puppy supplies, and with 10lbs on my shoulder and 10-12lbs in my arms, we started trekking towards the buildings. Once we got on the sidewalk, I let him walk rewarding him for every four concrete squares he walked by my side, and he jogged/hopped happily along in anticipation of his reward.
(As we go along it we will increase the "working" time from 4 squares to 6 to 8 until we're walking longer distances without the expectation of reward. Or something like that. I know what I mean LOL! )
He's still not into stairs, so I carried him down the first flight of stairs leading into the building, than up another two flights until we reached our floor. Yess this will get old real fast.
The instructor of this class was so excited to see him, and promptly had me introduce him to the class. Once she gave us our assignment (timed writing essay WHAT?!) she came over and asked to pet him. At this age, I am allowing him to socialize as its important that he see people as positives...which he does lol!
Next thing I know she's down in the floor with him sprawled in her lap, grabbing anything he can with his teeth. She hands him back, and I attempt to settle him on the floor with a toy.


Weell he was having none of it, and wanted to check out the room; and started complaining noisily too me about how the leash was holding him back, and was hurting his neck etc..


But I shushed him, redirected him into a "down" and stepped on the leash.


The next thing I know, my teacher is behind me whispering that she'll take him, and let him walk around the room with her.  I may regret this later, but I gave her the go ahead, and set off on some laps around the room. I was a little surprised at how well he was walking for her; but wasn't paying too much attention as I had an assignment to work on. 


When she handed him back, he was more than ready to lay down, and did so for the remaining 15 minutes of class.


We hurried out of there and I carried him outside, dodging reaching hands on the way out. *eye roll, seriously have people ever heard of body space?*


He didn't potty, and with only 10 minutes before my next class, I decided that if we had too, we'd just leave class. Not my first option, but didn't have much of a choice.


So we hurried to the next building, ran up a couple flights, and entered what could have been mistaken for a tomb at first ....sound...it was so quiet it was eery, and there was at least 15 people in there.


Our instructor arrives with a bout of corny jokes, and long stories about books he had to buy. Pompei wasn't too interested in settling down at the time, so I kept him busying doing situps. When I was too slow about delivering a treat, he decided that this warranted a Bark, and let one loose, right in the middle of the lecture.


I wasn't embarrassed as I figured that everyone knew he was there, and I knew that several of the students had been boredly watching us. Well next thing I know Proff swiveled toward me:


"I would be remiss if I didn't tell you that was illegal"


*crickets* I at the time, didn't realize he hadn't got the memo about the dog coming, so was trying to figure out what it was that was illegal.


"Your not allowed to have dogs or children in the class room"


Ooooh THAT Illegality


Another student piped up that he was a working dog, and I quickly corrected him, and let him know that he had received and email about this.


"Oh well i just got here so I haven't checked my email"


!?!?!?


This guy is weird.


He let it drop, and class proceeded with no more interruptions from fussbutt. Pompei will be my first barky dog...er...barky service dog, so it will be interesting to see what other situations he will deem barkworthy.


After class we met up with my sister and walked her to the cafeteria for lunch, I settled Pomp, transfered supplies, and headed out of there...


If you ask her how it went, she would say it was horrible. But when I asked for the facts, she just didn't realize that she'd have to carry him, and was nervous as she didn't know his signs that he needed to relieve.


So I don't know if that's going to work out for us to well.. but they both came out of it alive, no destruction, and no accidents....


So I think it went well.


And that. Was our first day of classes.


Oh yes. I forgot to mention Victoria; well my one the trainers at Wilderwood contacted me letting me know there was an application in for Victoria, and asked me to meet her sometime today; which I did. (much to my consternation/dismay etc.etc..)
{Pompei sits beside Victoria who is sitting behind Texas, whose ear is flipped over as usual}
The lady worked as a counselor and was looking for a young dog to work as a Therapy dog in her center. They fell in love with Victoria instantly, I think the feeling will be mutual soon. :)


V did protest about leaving me but they said once they got her alone, that she did well; and they were impressed. They feel she's got the right temperament for what they are looking for, and will be in contact with us about finalizing everything.
{Pompei is sitting on top of Victoria who is laying on the floor looking a little squashed}
What more can I ask for her? A good home and a job??


Its still rippingn a whole in my heart though.


We're going to miss our girl, but she's going to be happy!
Gee when did I become so long winded!? And I've stood the entire time i wrote this. #lame 

Comments

Bet that second prof will feel like an @ss once he reads his email ;-)
Katrin said…
Erin do you do mat training for when you take Pompeii to classes and such? I have found that with my puppies and dogs in training if I teach a 'go to mat and lie down and stay there' very well at home before taking them to a location where they must settle for a long period of time, it works better. They have a concrete behavior they have learned perviously and it's less of a fight with 'down' 'stay' and 'be quiet' when they're expected to settle for a while.

One they understand the basis of that job on the mat though, then I stop using the mat and just expect a down stay at my side quietly, but that comes later when they are older and have a longer attention span.

Just what has worked for me.
Erin and Co. said…
Hi Karin, That's a great idea, and one I hadn't thought of as in restaurants in such he would settled down within 5 minutes of our arrival.I think what's happening is he's taking his morning nap in the car during our 35 minute drive, and doesn't want to sleep when we get there. So I may have to arrive even earlier to get some exercise in as well.
Erin said…
Hi Karin, That's a great idea, and one I hadn't thought of as in restaurants in such he would settled down within 5 minutes of our arrival.I think what's happening is he's taking his morning nap in the car during our 35 minute drive, and doesn't want to sleep when we get there. So I may have to arrive even earlier to get some exercise in as well.
Erin said…
Erin do you do mat training for when you take Pompeii to classes and such? I have found that with my puppies and dogs in training if I teach a 'go to mat and lie down and stay there' very well at home before taking them to a location where they must settle for a long period of time, it works better. They have a concrete behavior they have learned perviously and it's less of a fight with 'down' 'stay' and 'be quiet' when they're expected to settle for a while.

One they understand the basis of that job on the mat though, then I stop using the mat and just expect a down stay at my side quietly, but that comes later when they are older and have a longer attention span.

Just what has worked for me.

Popular Posts