Now for the Rrrrrrest of the Story

It was in October when I first realized that I had some changes in my life, that needed to be made. If you don't remember that was when my job description at Wilderwood was changed. I had some goals in my mind,that I wanted accomplished and I just didn't know how they were going to get accomplished. One of the biggest things was my schooling; that is something I feel is extremely important,and that this is the best time I'll have for obtaining that goal. But with my job change, having time for classes would be next too impossible.

It was than I started realizing that a long term plan with Wilderwood probably wouldn't be an option. Why not leave UTPD you ask? Well, I loved my positions with Wilderwood, and feel that its something I need to give 110%....where as UT I could do with my eyes closed. And with school....you have GOT to have a low stress job.

I do at least.

Anyway in November I started the "going-back-to-school" process, and started looking at my options as far as what I could do and keep my jobs.

December came and I made my difficult decision to leave Wilderwood Service Dogs...January 20th, 2010 will be my last day. At the same time I realized that I probably wouldn't be able to continue working at Wilderwood dog, ONLY due to the time lengths. Switching dogs every 1-3 months is TOUGH on all involved. Human and Dog alike.

I'm sure at some point in the future, when I need a short term puppy fix, I can help them out, but at this moment in time, I'll probably limit myself to puppy-sitting, volunteering at the kennels/graduations.

At the same time, I knew Midnight was ..... impregnated and I went ahead and put myself down for one of her puppies. We all knew that didn't work out, so my Area Coordinator (AC)and my Regional Advisor (RA) wanted me to take one of their older dogs, that was well just a little too much for the current raiser.

So I agreed, and went on my merry way.

As time came closer for me to turn in my notice, I checked back with my AC to make sure everything was a go, if not I would just continue volunteering with WSD, and just wait for Midnight's puppies later on this year.

21 emails later, we decided that was not going to work out..BUT they were sending some puppies down sometime in January and February if I wanted to put my name down for that....

After much scrambling in my mind, I told them sure that would probably give me sometime to prepare for him or her, move Victoria on, finish my term with Wilderwood, and start school.

Or so I thought.

Friday afternoon.

I was driving to AL for our church's annual fellowship meeting, when I received an email from my RA titled Puppy. Hmm....

"I had someone decide that they wanted a pup in Feb not Jan so you got a pup! I confirmed it with M**** just now. I know that it's a labxgolden and will be spayed or neutered but as soon as I get more info I'll let you know.
L****, would you check with G****** and see if she could meet the transport on Tues about 10:30-11:00 along I-85?"
I'm pretty sure I almost ran off the road while trying to read that email on my cell phone. Surely she couldn't mean THIS Tuesday, I mean that's too soon! Do you know how much stuff I have to do this week? When am I going to have the time to get a puppy? I'm SO not PREPARED!? AAAH!

I emailed her back when I could checking to see if she just forgot to put a date {out in the future} and thanking her for letting me know.

A little while later she emailed back to confirm what I'd seen the first time was indeed correct....the pup was slated to arrive January 5th 2010.

Great! Now I get to go into FULL panic mode! I had puppy classes scheduled for that afternoon....I could ask someone to keep him for a couple of days but it would be like Saturday before I'd have time to run to Asheville! A couple of phone calls/emails later I began to settle down. Emailed all my foster families to reschedule their class, and let my AC know I could meet them in Asheville and pick up my pup...and btw do you have any info on him/her?

I spent the rest the weekend alternating between forgetting about him, and having fun with my friends, and stressing a load trying to figure out how I was going to get everything I need to do done next week!!

....and there went my sleepless nights fo sho! :) (Right before school starts no less!!)

We arrived back from AL late in the evening on Sunday, and I spent my time checking on my purchases an x-pen, a new "diaper bag" from Etsy, and puppy proofing my already thoroughly puppy proofed house.

Seriously there is like nothing on the floor.   

Monday - A Looooong Day. Ran around picking up my puppies from their various places, working and purchasing a few supplies in anticipation of our new arrival. I called my mom and arranged for my youngest sister Autumn to ride with me to Asheville to pick up our little bundle of fur.... and as I mentioned previously we also decided to career change Victoria.

Tuesday - Started off ok, got the house ready for the pup, unpacked and washed clothes, than set off around 3:00PM; however as I was leaving I recieved a phone call from my dear father.  Some how we started talking about Victoria and I mentioned I was thinking about keeping her. Well......he quickly shut that idea down. Three dogs was the house limit. (as of today anyhow) So yeah that basically ruined my day, and dampened my excitement about the puppy considerably. I probably cried the entire way to Asheville...

But anyway, so one of our group met the puppy van in Greenville SC, and brought him too tonight's puppy meeting. He is a Lab/Golden X and 8 weeks old, and boy is he noisy! He just squeaks and squawks at random intervals...and I knew than we'd be in for a long night.

Pompeii is a yellow puppy sleeping on his side, beside a blue,yellow,pink,and purple doll, with different textured hands and feet for chewing
Pompeii laying in front of doll toy,with his nosed mashed against the carpet,smelling the smells that it holdsPompeii manages to get his leash tangled around a chair, and is straining against it trying to get free

We have been home for about an hour+ now, and I've already crated him...due to my early work day tomorrow....and he is kicking up a fuss! We started out good, but yeah.

Wish me luck on sleep tonight. :)

Erin, Bubbles,Texas,Victoria and Pompeii

Comments

Hobbes Dogs said…
AWWWW, I love him already!!

Definitely lots of changes for you, but they sound very exciting. Sending best wishes your way!
MK said…
You ARE crazy, but goodness he is precious. :-) Good luck on these first few days with Pompeii and sending you hugs and puppy kisses from my guys on Vicki's CC. Fingers crossed she gets her perfect forever home.
Anna said…
wow what a story! I had the last-minute thing with Arturo...but I had 3 days. It's awesome but ridiculous!
WHAT a roller coaster of a story!!! I can't believe you've got this little guy in your house tonight!

Is he Pompeii?? He is murderously adorable. I hope he's letting you sleep!!!
Natalie said…
Pupppy!!! He is so cute!!Hope he settles in well and can't wait to see more pictures of his cute little face!

Good luck with school and everything- hope life doesn't get too stressful!
Lisa, Ellie and Hosta said…
WOW - he's super adorable. If anyone can do it - you can!!! Can't wait to see him grow up and hear about all his adventures. You and Sarah getting apup the same week. How wild!
What a crazy week you've had already1 Hope the new pup settles in soon and ceasing his serenading of the rest of you.
Erin said…
wow what a story! I had the last-minute thing with Arturo...but I had 3 days. It's awesome but ridiculous!

Popular Posts